Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 keeps failing to install updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Evolution13

Evolution13

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

This is happening on two laptops, mine and my mother's. My laptop is trying to install the Creator's Update, my Mom's is trying to install some other various updates, one of which is probably the update to protect against the recent ransomware scourge.

In both cases I've stopped the windows update service and BITS, and deleted everything out of Windows\SoftwareDistribution. I've done this manually, using Complete Internet Repair, and booting off a Knoppix disk and manually deleting the software distribution folder to make sure *everything* goes. Nothing's worked so far.

I'm trying to figure out what the next step after this is before just outright reinstalling windows. Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sgayres

sgayres

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

I noticed this yesterday when setting up a new laptop just taken out of the box.   An update check results in the 0x8024402f 2017 error.  I checked my other computers running Win 10 (desktop-Ethernet and laptop-wireless) and got the same error.

I downloaded the WSUS offline installer and in the initial part where it downloads the updates the program errors out with "ERROR: Download failure for w100-x64 glb."

I've tried refreshing my DSL modem's IP address.

I have to assume that there is a problem with the Microsoft update server or something upstream and NOT with these three computers.  I'll wait it out.

Edited by sgayres, 16 May 2017 - 06:53 AM.

#3 Ahmedbeeh

Ahmedbeeh

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

I have same problem on both my windows 10 machines with the same error.
any update from you guys if your resolved the problem?

#4 Evolution13

Evolution13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

Ironically, manually downloading and installing the Creator's update seems to have fixed this on my laptop, still need to try it with my Mom's. I should also note that thus far the only other updates that have been installed are minor things, Definition updates for Windows Defender and a security patch for flash, they were successful however!

This problem is still fairly common, I'd love to know if there are any other fixes for it.

Edited by Evolution13, 17 May 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#5 sgayres

sgayres

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

The next morning early, I tried again on the new laptop and got the same error.  Tried the WSUS tool and it still was kicking out with its error.  I then used the Windows Upgrade tool to manually install the "Creators Update".  That took an hour or two and when it finished, the new laptop was able to check for updates.  I went to the other machines and they were showing me "last checked" was that morning.  I verified that they were able to check for updates and they were fine.

So what was it?  I have no idea but I do not think it was with any of my computers.  My advice for this error is to wait a few days before troubleshooting.  It's likely that it isn't a problem with your computer and you certainly don't want to fix something that isn't broken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users