Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Calendar Badges question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

I have events in my calendar and I have badges turned on in notifications. However, I don't think I have ever seen a badge for an event of mine show up on the Calendar App from the home screen.

I have resorted to putting some of my events in the Reminders App so that I don't miss an appointment. (Badges do show on the Reminders App)

Am I missing something, or does the Calendar App just not show badges for events?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:21 AM

Which version of iOS are you running?

In iOS 10, you can have overall "Allow Notifications" turned on, but have "Upcoming Events" turned off (this is how my iPhone is set as I use a different calendar app than the built-in one, so I don't want the build-in Calendar app "chirping" at me). If forget how iOS 9 handles it.

Next, I just want to make sure you and I are on the same page as to what you are after. Do you want the little red circle with a number that shows up on the Calendar app icon (that is a "badge")? Or do you want an "alert" (with or without sound) that pops up on the screen? "Alerts" can take the form of what Apples calls alerts or banners (at least in iOS 10...it is similar for iOS 9, but I don't recall if they are named the same or operate the same). For "badges", you need to make sure that in the Notifications settings for Calendar, that the "Badge App Icon" switch is set to on. If you want an "alert", then you have to set with the "Alert Style When Unlocked" to either "Banners" or "Alerts". If you want that "alert" to show up on the lock screen (i.e. when the device is locked), then the "Show on Lock Screen" switch needs to be set to "on". And last, if you want a sound for an "alert", then make sure the "Sounds" item in the Notifications settings for Calendar is set to something other than "None".

Next, have you set an "alert" with in the appointment/event item within the Calendar app? If you want an alert to popup and potentially make a sound, then you need the alert option set in the appointment/event. If forget if this is also true of "badges" or not. If you just create an event/appointment that does not alert option (typically something like "2 hours before" or "at start"), then it will not do any sort of popup alert (with or without sound) on either the lock screen or when unlocked.

Last, with iOS 10, there is an "Up Next" widget on the Widgets/Today View screen that you can have activated. If you do, then it will list the next upcoming event(s) in that widget. You can then move that "Up Next" widget to the top of the list of Widgets if you want to see it first. If you are not familiar with the Widget/Today View screen, you get to it by swiping left from the lock screen when the phone is locked (assuming you have it set to allow access to the Today View screen when the device is locked) or swiping left from the 1st/left most home screen. iOS 9 had a similar "Up Next" widget, but iOS 9 had widgets in the same place as the Notifications list...i.e. you swipe down from the top to get to them. For the "Up Next" widget, it does not matter whether you have an alert set in the event nor does it matter what you have setup in terms of the Notification settings for the Calendar app...the next event will always appear there.

#3 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have the most current iOS that came out a couple days ago; and I have badges turned on in the Calendar section of Notifications in Settings.

The Badge, to clarify, is the little circle with the number in it.

Edited by huntsin2, 17 May 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

I believe that a Badge notification on the Calendar app only appears if you get an invite from someone else to an event. I don't believe you will get a Badge notification for just an event, whether you set an alert in the event settings or not. I just tested it with an event set for later today even with an alert set for it. This thread on another site seems to reinforce this:

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5/256233-calendar-badge-icon.html

If you want a Badge to show up as a reminder, then you will have to use the Reminder app as you said you have been doing. Or the other option is to setup your events in the Calendar and either use the "Up Next" widget and/or alert/banner notifications.

#5 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

I would agree with your analysis.

From a user standpoint, it leaves out a feature that could be really helpful.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

I would agree with your analysis.

From a user standpoint, it leaves out a feature that could be really helpful.

From their stand point, they likely would argue that they are providing what you want by other means (i.e. alerts/banners and/or the "Up Next" functions that I mentioned before). Plus, if they did what you wanted, then you would never know if the badge was due to an upcoming event or invitation to an event (unless you never get invitations).

And FWIW, I have two other calendar apps on my iPhone (and I have two versions of one of those apps on my iPhone). I use them instead of the built-in one. And neither does badges for upcoming events.

So, my best advice is try one of the methods I mentioned and see if it will serve your needs. I suspect one of the reasons you want a badge is to have kind of a "persistent" reminder. I kind of do this by setting multiple alerts (typically 2 or more) for my events (i.e. the type that pop up and make a sound). You can only setup 2 alerts for a event in the built-in Calendar app, but other apps allow for more (and they will sync with the built-in Calendar app of the macOS, that DOES support more than 2 alerts...and the built-in iOS Calendar app will support more than 2 alerts if created elsewhere). The main calendar app that I use right now on iOS (and macOS) is BusyCal. I mainly use it because I can actually see individual events listed in word form on the month view, unlike just the stupid dots in the default Calendar app.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users