Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Air Conditioner temperature settings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

Hey, I was wondering, what's the difference between 23° degrees Celsius Hot and 23° degrees Celsius Cold in the options of the AC? Shouldn't 23° degrees Celsius feel the same no matter if you put it in Hot or Cold? How come there is a difference between the two even though they are at the same temperature? I went to ask in an AC shop (Yeah, I am that kind of person, lol), but they kindly told me that they neither know, nor do they care and that their job is just to sell them.

I'd appreciate any helpful input.:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

No idea if this is right. But thinking logically, 23c hot would mean you will heat to 23c. Meaning you're on heater/heating side of the unit. 23c cool means you will cool to 23c meaning you're on the air conditioner side of the unit.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

I second Animal's supposition.  I have a mobile climate control unit that can act as a straight air conditioner (cooling) and a heat pump (heating).  In the case of mine the choice of mode (heat/cool) is electronic and there is but one temperature selection.  I have seen units that split the cool/heat function on a single temperature control dial that one would adjust depending on the ambient temperature and "which direction" from the ambient temperature you wish to go.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

So, if the room temperature is 25° degrees Celsius and I set it to 21° degrees Celsius, for example, with the Hot option, the AC would just not do anything at all? Only after I set it to 21° degrees Celsius Cold it is going to start blowing cool air and drop the room temperature from 25° to 21° degrees Celsius. Is that what you're saying and if so, isn't that, well, kinda dumb...? Why are all AC units developed in such a confusing way?:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 15 May 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

JOQ:  As to your conjecture:  that's exactly what I'm saying.   If you're on the "hot" side and the ambient temperature is warmer than the setting for heat the unit will do nothing.  Conversely, if you're on the "cold" side and the ambient temperature in the room is cooler than the setting it will do nothing.   What triggers action is a ambient temperature below the setting on the "hot" side or above the temperature setting on the "cool" side.

As to why, most likely cost.  This sounds like an electromechanical dial arrangement to me and "the side" is what controls the function.  It's really just another way of doing what most thermostats do, where you must have the system as a whole set to either "heat" or "cool", and the same actions as I noted above under the same conditions I noted above will occur.  My portable unit works this way as well, but the controls are entirely electronic.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:48 PM

I see and understand now. Well, thank you for your help, both of you!:)

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:14 PM

You're welcome.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users