Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overseas Converter Problems - Outlet Sparking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 textonian1918

textonian1918

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:55 PM

Hello,

I am studying in Spain and I had bought an outlet converter so I could plug in my Toshiba laptop. When I plugged it in and turned on my computer, the outlet began sparking and the yellow light on my computer came on. Then it shut off. Now it won't turn on anymore. Is the whole thing fried. Is anything salvagable? I'm assuming the converter didn't work. Stupid Radio Shack. Any ideas? I'd appreciate any help very much. THANKS!

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:58 PM

Sounds like the converter is shorted.

A new one is in order.

#3 textonian1918

textonian1918
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:02 PM

What about the computer? Any ideas if the there is just a new part that I would need, or a whole new computer? THANKS!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:10 PM

It may have taken out the power supply on the computer and maybe more.
No way to tell without testing the parts.

Will it run or even power up on battery?

#5 textonian1918

textonian1918
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:17 PM

No, it won't power up at all, even if it's only running on battery power. Is it possible the hard drive is still intact?

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

The hardrive could be intact. In Europe the outlets use much higher voltages. You're hardrive and possibly other parts could be good, it's really up in the air.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users