Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Pictures-My Videos-My Music

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 fred93

fred93

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

I just finished building a new pc. The OS is Windows 10 Pro Retail. Everything went very well until I opened the "Documents" folder and double clicked on "My Music-My Pictures-My Videos". Each one gave me a message that the "Location is not available" "Access is denied"  What's up with that. I have downloaded: Trend Micro--Quickbooks--Java--Google Chrome--IE--graphic Card info--Office 2016--WOT--eFAX

I have not downloaded any pictures--videos or music. 

When I go to "File Explorer" there are folders/places that are labelled "Music--Videos--Pictures" AND they will open no problem. 

What is going on??????

One other thing that I just noticed--My Pictures--etc have icons that have a small arrow in the lower left corner of the icon for each folder.

Edited by fred93, 15 May 2017 - 01:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Can you open properties of these folders and from Location tab click Restore Default button.

Posted Image

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

I find it strange, really strange, that you have "My [Pictures|Music|Videos]" folders at all.  That naming convention went out with Windows 8 (or at least I think it did, I seem to recall the now-Win10-upgraded machine using Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos - all under both Quick Access and the user's folders - as the default naming convention.  "My computer" went away, too, and is "This PC."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

I guess those items (My Pictures etc) are shortcuts. I have no idea how they got there. I assume that I should just delete them????

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

I guess those items (My Pictures etc) are shortcuts. I have no idea how they got there. I assume that I should just delete them????

Yes because as Brian pointed out these locations do not exist in Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

Thanks

#7 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

Update on above post---Since MY pc also has OS windows10 and I ALSO have "My Pictures" etc in "Documents" I figured that I would delete those items as well ( I have not deleted them on my wife's pc yet). I started by deleting "My Pictures" first. When I did a message flashed up that xxx number of MB/GB's where being deleted--so I stopped it and I went into the recycle bin and restored it. Then I started to delete the "My Videos" folder and a message came up "Are you sure that you want to delete this folder--it contains videos and picture files"  

So I am thinking that these folders/files may contain things that I don't want to delete?????  But why can't I open them??????

#8 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:01 PM

Can you open properties of these folders and from Location tab click Restore Default button.

I can open properties for these folders however I do not see "Location" But I did find "Restore Default" button in the "Customize" tab. After I clicked on Restore Defaults then when I try to open the My Pictures folder instead of getting a "Access denied" message now I get a message that says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder" "Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder". When I click "Continue" I get another message that says "You have been denied permission to access this folder"   "To gain access to this folder you will need to use the  "security tab"  When I click on "security tab" I become confused!

HELP!!!!!

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

The Customize tab does not have option to restore default location of a folder the Restore Defaults button at Customize tab restores default folder icon.

Posted Image

#10 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:04 PM

So I guess I'm back to square one????

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:19 PM

I have been trying to communicate, as delicately as I can, that I believe you've had a corrupt installation from the start.  Now I'll be a bit more direct.

There are no "My X" directories in Windows 10 and never have been, ever.   The fact that you're seeing them means something is radically wrong.

You could try any number of things, but if this is a new machine I'd be most inclined to do a "Reset this PC" with "Keep My Files" if you don't already have your user data backed up somewhere.  If that doesn't work then I'd back up my user data and do a clean install of Windows 10 using a brand spankin' new copy of the Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool on the Windows 10 Download page.

Edited by britechguy, 20 May 2017 - 10:20 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#12 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

I have been trying to communicate, as delicately as I can, that I believe you've had a corrupt installation from the start.  Now I'll be a bit more direct.

There are no "My X" directories in Windows 10 and never have been, ever.   The fact that you're seeing them means something is radically wrong.

You could try any number of things, but if this is a new machine I'd be most inclined to do a "Reset this PC" with "Keep My Files" if you don't already have your user data backed up somewhere.  If that doesn't work then I'd back up my user data and do a clean install of Windows 10 using a brand spankin' new copy of the Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool on the Windows 10 Download page.

I appreciate your reply. When I first finished this build I installed Windows 10 (full retail version) from a USB thumb drive (it was purchased from Newegg)  If I am understanding you correctly, you are telling me that I had a corrupt installation from the start?

I am sure that you know MUCH more about these things than I do But I am having a problem understanding why I have THREE pc's that have the same problem???? Two of the pc's have Windows 10 Pro that were upgraded when Microsoft offered the upgrade for free. The third pc  I purchased Windows 10 Pro (full retail version)  All three of these computers have the same situation.

When I first saw the "My Pictures" etc on the two upgraded pc's I thought that some how those folders were picked up from Windows 7 when I downloaded the upgrade. Now that I have done a "clean" install on pc #3 and I have the same situation, I am perplexed to say the least.

I am not relishing the idea of starting over on pc #3 (and maybe pc #2 & #1) with a reinstall!!  Is there a problem if I just leave those folders there????

Can pictures on longer be added to a post in this forum???

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

You can attach pictures, provided you have not used up your space allocation, by using the "More Reply Options" button, which will bring up the advanced compose window where you can choose images to attach.

You can also place them inline in your message if they're hosted on a third-party site by using the control that looks like the small picture that's to the right of the "Bold, Italic, Underline, etc." font controls and pasting the URL of the image when prompted.

I am still having trouble wrapping my mind around what you're describing.  I have yet to see a Windows 8 or Windows 10 machine with the "My X" series of folders.  The "My " was dropped a long time ago.

#14 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

Attached File  2017.05.24 (1).JPG   121.46KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2017.05.24 (3).JPG   130.6KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2017.05.24 (2).JPG   111.77KB   0 downloads

Pictures of all three computers #1 is a backup pc      #2 is my pc     #3 is the new pc that I just built

I was just thinking---I have failed to mention that there are folders labeled Pictures-Music-Videos in all three pc and THOSE folders will open okay!

when i delete those folders and i go to the recycle bin each one shows a file size of 3.2mb

Edited by fred93, 24 May 2017 - 09:03 PM.

#15 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:12 AM

When you say you have done a 'clean install'', did you wipe the drive first?

I have seen PC with strange issues after installing a new OS on a drive without wiping the drive first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users