Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dino2014

dino2014

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

Hi,

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question but not something i have really had to bother with before.

Am aware that Flash Player should be avoided and now Firefox v 53  and other browsers  just do not allow such plug ins  etc.

However I need to view some of the 550 +  videos on the Cypress Semiconductors site which surprisingly seems to be in Flash.

http://www.cypress.com/training/psoc-101-video-tutorial-series-how-use-arm-cortex-m0-based-psoc-4

About half of them do seem to be viewable on Ytube.

Any advice on if I should use Flash Players stand alone program to view from the Cypress site or if I should avoid it completely; assuming there is no way  it can be more safely used in Firefox or Chromes current versions ?

No intention of using Flash for other sites.

Not really sure where the risk comes from,  code buried in the actual video download  or an exploit in Flashes own code ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

You can install Flash on Firefox and Chrome just fine. 

Firefox is only dropping support for all NPAPI plugins except Flash. Flash should run perfectly fine on both Firefox and Chrome

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

Am aware that Flash Player should be avoided

Some people recommend that, but for many people it is just not practical as there is a lot of Flash content still on the web that people either want or need to make use of. So, other people say it is OK, but strongly encourage you to keep Flash up to date and potentially disable it until you need it.

As to the latter item, there are number of ways to go about that. Some browsers now include the ability to block Flash except for certain sites. I know that modern version of Safari on Macs do as I am using a Mac. I would assume this might be true of other browsers.

There are also then plug-ins for various browsers that will not allow Flash content to play unless you specifically allow that content to play. These plug-ins originated mainly to stop autoplay Flash videos that annoyed people, I believe, but they certainly now can also help potentially malicious Flash content that might otherwise autoplay.

And then you might either keep Flash uninstalled until you need it or if able, disable it from within the Flash settings (you cannot on a Mac, not sure on Windows of the top of my head and too lazy to boot up my Windows desktop).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users