Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows hack?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

I keep getting this message Windows 10 Creators update that asks me to review my privacy settings. Sounds very suspicious in lieu of the recent massive ransomware infections so I didn't open it. This past week, a normal Windows update took place automatically so I am even more suspicious of this message.

What happens is I can either click on Ask me later and the screen goes away or I can proceed, which I have not. There is no option to delete or x this out. This is the second time this has come up. If it's a normal Windows process, that's one thing but if it's a virus masquerading as one, that's another. 

If it's legit, what is Windows 10 Creators? Sometimes ancillary divisions of companies send out unnessary "updates" simply to expand their product exposure and aren't really important.

My concern is to be very careful--with this wanna cry ransomware that is exploding across the world--I would rather be safe than sorry.

Edited by hamluis, 15 May 2017 - 10:10 AM.
Moved from MRL to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

Windows 10 Creators Update is just an update for your PC. It delivers some new features to Windows 10, like 3D Paint. I have it on my PC and I've had no problems with it.

Paste a screenshot of the popup into Pasteboard and provide a link to it.

Edited by iMacg3, 15 May 2017 - 01:12 PM.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users