Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling windows 10 problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gadomir

Gadomir

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Hi guys, my problem is that when I go to reinstall windows on my machine it will start the process, vut ends up stopping after a little while. It then reverts any changes on the pc. The message it provides is that it has encountered a problem and can not complete the install. I have tried to install using my windows usb stick and a fresh download of windows 10. Neither of these will work.I have also run a scan disk check for errors on the hard drive. It came back with no problems. I am at a lose as to what to do. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

What is the make and model of the computer or motherboard if custom built? Was this an upgrade from Windows 8? What OS came pre-installed on the computer if the computer is an OEM like Dell or HP?

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 May 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#3 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

It sounds like you are upgrading.  Have you tried a clean install?  Also, before you try upgrade again, in a command window as administrator run cleanmgr /verylowdisk.  Then run cleanmgr /sageset:1.  Check all boxes, and click OK.  Now run cleanmgr /sagerun:1, and let it complete.  Do you have any USB devices besides keyboard, and mouse connected?  If so disconnect them before you do the upgrade.  One more thing, make sure you have enough space for the windows.old folder.  I always have about 40 GB of free space, but you can get away with probably less than ½ that.

Edited by dhagerjohns, 15 May 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#4 Gadomir

Gadomir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

It was given to me by a friend. It had windows seven originally. The windows 10 was not an upgrade but a full install. It is a custome build with an Asrock Z68 extreme, gtx750 ti graphics card, 32g ram and I7-2700k cpu @ 3.50 GHZ

#5 Gadomir

Gadomir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

Not an upgrade and I have tried a clean install with no success. Every time I try I get the encountered a problem error.

Edited by Gadomir, 15 May 2017 - 11:23 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:25 AM

Per the specs the MB is UEFI. Boot the Windows 10 install media. At the window that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X       Where X is the number associated with the drive you will installing Windows to. This is normally 0

clean                   Deletes all partitions

convert GPT       required to boot on a UEFI computer

exit                      exit diskpart

exit                      exit command prompt

Continue with the install.

If it still fails it could be a hardware problem such as memory.

#7 Gadomir

Gadomir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

That got it JohnC_21 thank you for your help.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

Your Welcome, Glad it worked for you. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users