Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 10 ISOs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

Do Windows 10 ISOs have updated releases between versions?

And if so, is there a way to tell before running the media creation tool or downloading the ISO? Maybe in the file properties of the media creation tool?

I'm thinking of something like 1607.2 or 1703.1, as with Linux distros.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

• Each version of Windows has its own MediaCreationTool
  • If you thinking of Windows 1703, it has changed three times since March 17th, when the first version was released.
  • MediaCreatinTool makes one of the ISO and the installation process to choose the appropriate version. (Home, Pro, Education, etc)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

To reinforce what zainmax has posted I have not found "significant differences" in the ISOs within a given release.  There has been discussion on these forums about this before and they can and do change, but not congruent with the various build numbers within a version.  Part of the Windows 10 install process always involves checking online for updates, so as long as you've got an ISO for the correct version it will update itself to the most recent build as part of applying updates during the install process.

There is, as has been previously noted, one "grand unified" ISO that will determine what edition (Home, Pro, Education, S) will be installed on your machine either based on the license key if this is a completely fresh installation or on what is recorded on Microsoft's servers for your hardware if you're reinstalling.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I created a Windows 10 USB shortly after 1703 was released, so it's likely the first version.

With Ubuntu, I like to keep the latest ISO handy (eg 16.04.2) just to reduce updates and make installation smoother and quicker.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I created a Windows 10 USB shortly after 1703 was released, so it's likely the first version.

With Ubuntu, I like to keep the latest ISO handy (eg 16.04.2) just to reduce updates and make installation smoother and quicker.

Same thing is true with Windows, so it always pays to have a few around. The ISO for Windows 10 1703 will probably change twice before the update to Windows 10 1710 is released.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users