Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD ntoskrnl.exe possibly power supply?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LingKingg

LingKingg

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:59 AM

· OS - Windows 10

· x64 ?
· What was original installed OS on system? - Windows 7
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? - ? Downloaded with free update?
· Age of system (hardware) - Roughly 2.5 years old
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? - No?

· CPU - i3-4160 @3.60 GHz
· Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (Gainward)
· MotherBoard - Gigabyte H81M-HD3
· Power Supply - Corsair VS550

· Built it myself

· Desktop

I've been starting to get regular BSOD's every few days. The only weird things that have happened recently are:

1. The power supply seems to be making this weird metal sound every few seconds ( I think it might be the fan ) occasionally upon startup for the first few minutes. If I hold the back of the area where the sound is being made the sound stops, however once I stop holding it, it'll come back. Generally, after ~5 minutes the sound will go away.

2. Recently my computer prior to the blue screens gave me a 'Disk read error' upon start up. After opening the computer and checking all the cables were plugged in correctly I booted the computer and it worked although I had to try a few times. 

Not sure if this is relevant or not but it seems to me like most of the crashes have occurred by the same/similar address. Screenshot from Bluescreen View: http://puu.sh/vQAin.png

I have run RAM tests and some HDD tests, so I'm relatively sure both are fine.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Edited by LingKingg, 15 May 2017 - 05:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

Yup, I think we're looking at hardware issues, especially the PSU. The latest dumps say that themselves too:

Probably caused by : hardware
They also seem to point to RAM with STOP 0x0000012B: FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE bugchecks, indicating a RAM error. What RAM test did you use, how long did you run it, and did you run it when the system was cold or hot?

Since the PSU is making strange noises, replace it immediately. A bad PSU can cause all sorts of problems, e.g. it could be responsible for imbalance in the RAM, leading to errors. Beyond that, I have several other suggestions:

-update your BIOS (if you know what you're doing, could be risky in your case)
-update Windows
-run MemTest86 for a minimum of eight passes. Here's a good guide if you need help.
-run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Be sure to test all your drives with the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Generic tests.
-run Prime95 (read the details in the link)
-run these remaining hardware diagnostics
-monitor your temps with HWMonitor (just send me a screenshot if you're unsure)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 LingKingg

LingKingg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:13 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My RAM test was not that indepth, so I'll run Memtest soon and let you know about the results. 

I also intend to purchase a new PSU or get it replaced, currently unsure about the warranty but I'll also let you know whether that fixes anything.  Out of curiosity, is the life of the PSU usually this short? 

I'm currently running Driver Verifier (since yesterday) and so far I have not received a BSOD.

Attached is the HW monitor test (not sure if that helps).

My drive passed both the S.M.A.R.T test: http://puu.sh/vRwJy.png and Long Generic: http://puu.sh/vRzIG.png

Will run more tests and let you know.

EDIT: Just uploaded the sound on YouTube. It sounds quiet, but its quite a bit louder since my phone's sound quality isn't that great.

Edited by LingKingg, 16 May 2017 - 03:55 AM.

#4 LingKingg

LingKingg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:03 AM

I have ran most of the above tests except Memtest without fail, although I received a BSOD while playing games.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

Sorry, but these dumps are quite useless. For some reason, Microsoft hasn't released symbols for your build of Windows 10. I'd run the RAM test and post the results (I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the RAM).

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users