Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Disk Usage and Used Memory going down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ricen444

ricen444

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:43 PM

Hello,

My disk is constantly running at 94-100% despite the fact that the system is idle, and everything says 0mb/s/. I have been all over the internet trying to find a solution, but I can not seem to find one that works. I have disabled superfetch and search and have various other methods to fix the problem. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to fix this issue? 

Also my used memory went from 188.6 to 170.4 in the span of a day, and I am concerned about this as well.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ricen444, 14 May 2017 - 09:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 robertdane101

robertdane101

• Banned Spammer
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

There are many processes in an OS even in an idle state. The best advice is to get CCleaner in order to get more space.

Also, you can disable services that you do not want.

http://www.askvg.com/beginners-guide-to-configure-windows-10-services/

#3 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:05 AM

If your disk is constantly running at 94-100% despite, your computer runs very slow. In this case, I highly recommended you scan your computer for viruses, then uninstall unnecessary applications.

If the problem still persists, updated all drivers, add more RAM and perform a Windows 10 Repair.

you can also try the methods here http://howtoinstallwindows10.com/system-and-compressed-memory-service-high-cpu-usage-on-windows-10/

#4 ricen444

ricen444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

If your disk is constantly running at 94-100% despite, your computer runs very slow. In this case, I highly recommended you scan your computer for viruses, then uninstall unnecessary applications.

If the problem still persists, updated all drivers, add more RAM and perform a Windows 10 Repair.

you can also try the methods here http://howtoinstallwindows10.com/system-and-compressed-memory-service-high-cpu-usage-on-windows-10/

I have used three different antivirus programs to ensure that  my computer is virus free. I have also been uninstalling programs one by one, nothing seems to be working. I will try what you suggested and get back to you.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

Posted Image

#6 ricen444

ricen444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

I may have worded my reply poorly, I have used 3 antivirus programs but they have not been installed on my computer all at the same time. I tried the methods on the link provided with little success.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:33 PM

I would like to have you run a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

msconfig_zpsuoxvomjq.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean%20boot%203_zpsyvcjopso.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK

clean%20boot%202_zpsekds879g.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

Posted Image

#8 ricen444

ricen444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:13 AM

I would like to have you run a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

msconfig_zpsuoxvomjq.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean%20boot%203_zpsyvcjopso.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK

clean%20boot%202_zpsekds879g.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

I have not been able to run a clean boot yet, I have been talking with Microsoft and they told me to update so that is what I am doing currently. I will run a clean boot when I finish updating my PC.

#9 ricen444

ricen444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

It seems that running a clean boot has only made my problem worse. However I think the source of my problem comes from my current antivirus software. Are there any lightweight antivirus programs out there? I currently use windows defender.

Edited by ricen444, 17 May 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

Make sure to select Normal Startup from System Configuration.

Windows Defender is the only lightweight antivirus program for Windows OS.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users