Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update has been checking for updates for hours (Win 8.1)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ireallyhateviruses

ireallyhateviruses

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

Since I heard that about the new ransomware attack and the related Windows patch, I thought it would be a good idea to see if my computer had the patch from March.

When I went to check this, I had completely forgotten that I turned off automatic Windows updates downloads when Windows Update was trying to install Windows 10 (so that was about two years ago by now), so I didn't have the March patch, or many, many, many other security updates. The Windows Updates page within Control Panel had a giant list of updates I could download. Somehow, and I'm not sure how, this list has disappeared, and now all that I can see on the left sidebar is "Check for updates," "Change settings,"  "View update history," and "Restore hidden updates."

Several hours ago I pressed "Check for updates," and it has been "checking" for updates since then.

In addition, I found the download link for the KB4012216/KB4012213 patch on Microsoft's website and downloaded it. When I tried to install it, a Windows Update Standalone Installer popped up and said "Searching for updates on this computer." Just like with Windows Update, it's been doing this for several hours.

I should note that for the past year or two, whenever I try to update Windows Defender, it hangs and never finishes updating.

I've posted about my laptop (Windows 8.1, 64 bit) in previous posts on Bleeping Computer -- it's the same one I'm dealing with now. I have never reinstalled Windows or anything like that; I use my computer for browsing the internet and I only use a handful of programs (photo editing, video editing, etc.) so I'm not well-versed in how I should go about fixing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gaberilde

gaberilde

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:12 AM

this is bisare how you have the same issue as me ... 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/646641/windows-update-tottaly-screwed/

The Friget spinner is spreading like the WanaCry ransomware!

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:42 AM

Close Windows Update.

Wait a day or 2.

Open it again.

This is what I do.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

#4 ireallyhateviruses

ireallyhateviruses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

Thanks. I opened Windows Update this morning and it told me I had 65 updates ready to download. I downloaded and installed them, but I don't see the newest patches on the Installed list. Both Windows Update and Windows Update Standalone Installer for the new patches I manually downloaded are still "searching" my computer for updates. Will I ever be able to download the new patch? I even downloaded the Windows Update Troubleshooter and it wouldn't work, saying there was an error... this is ridiculous.

Edited by ireallyhateviruses, 15 May 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#5 ireallyhateviruses

ireallyhateviruses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

I was finally able to download the patch after running the Windows Update Diagnostic tool. I checked Windows Update some time later and it suddenly showed 63 updates that were ready to install. After they were installed and I restarted my laptop, I tried installing the patch again. To my surprise, instead of checking my computer for updates, it asked me if I wanted to install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users