Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my computer will not boot up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EHinton2

EHinton2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

my laptop is an hp with an intel i3 and a 250gb hard drive i use it to program cars ecm... i haven't had to use it in about a month and i charged it up and turned it on but it didn't boot up.. it went to HP PC Diagnostics UEFI.. the only options on here are to check memory and to check hard drive.. the hard drive check both quick and extensive come back and say smart check not available and short dst not available, the memory check comes back as passed.. so i just hit exit and then it asks boot options opical drive or notebook ethernet or device hard drive all say boot device not found, please install an operating system on your hard drive, hard disk - (3f0)

any fixes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

If your computer is set to first attempt to boot to another device, this may cause issues with successfully booting to Windows. To reset your computer's BIOS to factory defaults, perform the following steps:

•     Restart the computer.
  •     At the Dell logo during restart, tap the F2 key repeatedly until you see Entering Setup in the top right corner of the screen.
  •     Depending on the BIOS, you may need to press a key listed at the bottom of the screen to load default settings.
  •     Press ESC to exit the BIOS, and be sure to select Save and Exit to save your changes.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:28 AM

If the HP hard drive diagnostics don't work and you get the boot device not found error, then it's most likely that your hard drive has died.

I would first suggest slaving the hard drive to another PC to see if you can recover the data off the old hard drive (not likely, but worth a try to see).

Then, you have several options.

First is attempting to run another hard drive diagnostic to verify that the HDD is dead/dying.

While it's slaved to another PC, you can run the Seagate Seatools for Windows (or the Western Digital Data Lifeguard) to test the drive

Both are free from the manufacturers, just search Google for them.

Then, if it is indeed the hard drive, you'll need a new hard drive and a copy of the HP recovery disk.

If you don't have the recovery disk (and if the system was W10), you can download one from here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Select the "Create Windows 10 Installation Media" link.

This won't have the additional HP provided programs, so you may still have to visit the HP support website to download them.

If it's not he hard drive, then you have to wonder what's causing it - hardware or software?

The easiest thing to do is to try to install Windows 10 from the HP recovery media.

This will wipe everything off of the hard drive - so make sure that you have a backup!

If the Windows10 installation fails, then you'll have to assume that it's some other piece of hardware.

At that point, I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for more expert hardware advice:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users