Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cortana's own "Search Online & Include Web Results" setting and Version 1703, Ho

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:57 PM

Hello All,

Over time I have become increasingly irritated at the taking away of control over the various aspects of Cortana under Windows 10 Home, at least, while increasing control of almost everything else is offered.

On my machine in the early days I disabled the Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) feature of Cortana and then also switched off the "Search Online & include web results" toggle in "Cortana & search" settings which effectively turned what remained of Cortana into the old-style Windows Search.

In my work with blind and visually-impaired clients many of them want to do precisely that same thing, but with the advent of version 1703 the search online toggle is nowhere to be seen.  The "Speech, Inking, & Typing" pane of Privacy settings has, however, become more explicit about its purpose and what turning these services on/off means as far as Cortana goes.  Turning them off stops the PDA feature of Cortana.

I'd like to know how to achieve the exclusion of online searches and web results, even if it involves a registry edit.  I do not wish to go the Group Policy Editor route since this is not included as a native part of Windows 10 Home, and since I have Windows 10 home and it's still behaving as I set it way back when and I can't find either of the following keys:

[HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
"AllowCortana"=dword:00000000
"BingSearchEnabled"=dword:00000000

or any of a number of others that are documented "out in cyberspace" that make the claim to disable the PDA aspect of Cortana and the inclusion of online searching and web results in Cortana searches, respectively.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,615 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

See Method 2. Create the key manually. If it works then export the key as a .reg file and import into the other computers.

https://www.top-password.com/blog/disable-cortana-web-search-in-windows-10/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

John,

Thanks, sincerely.

I've already written a registry edit script but there is a very wide variance in the information out there on which keys under HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search should be created/used.

I'd like to have someone definitively identify those that work under Windows 10 Home if they know them.  I have not found any of the keys that have been mentioned by me and yourself so far on my machine, and since I long ago turned off the PDA feature of Cortana and the inclusion of web searches I cannot even test if adding any of the above achieves the intended ends.  I don't want to put together a registry edit script that I have no way of verifying before handing it to others. 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 saguaro2

saguaro2

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

On one of my systems, which used to have the toggle and had it in the 'off' position when the Creators Edition upgrade hit, I still have a plain search box. I just verified that I can toggle Cortana on and off using Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\BingSearchEnabled.However, this has no effect on the other system, where Cortana was on (minus the speech/inking/typing permissions) during the upgrade.  The difference seems to be that the CortanaCapabilities entry in the same folder is blank on the non-Cortana machine. Both systems had Cortana turned off prior to the Anniversary update; I did that at the point when they started enforcing Bing/Edge for the web results, though I can't now remember whether it involved fiddling with the registry.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:12 PM

I have not yet been blessed with 1703, but since I have few more entries than mentioned above, I thought I'll tell what I have in 1607 and expect it to work on CU update:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
"AllowCortana"=dword:00000000
"AllowSearchToUseLocation"=dword:00000000
"DisableWebSearch"=dword:00000001
"ConnectedSearchUseWeb"=dword:00000000
"BingSearchEnabled"=dword:00000000

The result is that search works just locally. No web search. However it still wants to go to bing and I block that pest in the firewall.

Did I answer your question? Not at all. Just ideas for different entries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users