Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setup Cannot Find A Cd-rom Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cees82

Cees82

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:02 PM

I was having trouble downloading files with Internet Explorer and decided to try uninstall and then reinstall it. After several tries, I decided to put my original Win XP CD into the CD drive and update or reinstall WinXP on top of my current copy which works OK. I discovered that the installation went OK up to a point where I got an error: Setup cannot find a CD_ROM drive. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup press F-3.
No matter what I have tried I can't get beyond this point. Now when I boot up, I get this same error message and have to boot again to get into the regular WinXP desktop. The system works OK, but I want to solve this problem which may come up if I ever have to really install WinXP from scratch. The system believes that WimXP installation was never completed. Hope to get some suggestions.
Thanks so much for any help.
Cecil

Edited by Cees82, 07 September 2006 - 01:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:13 PM

First - try a Windows System Restore using a highlighted date from before you tried to repair XP.

Access System restore:
start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

If that is not successful then it sounds like a Repair Install would be in order:

How to do a repair install of XP

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users