Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Anyone Here Use Facebook?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

I have been reading a lot about facebook but really have no idea what it is about? Anyone have any first-hand information this site? http://www.facebook.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

I'm on there regularly. It started as a way for college students to post their information and keep in contact w/ each other through messages, friend's list, profile information, etc. Then, unfortunately (imo, anyway), it spread to high schools. It's a pretty cool site with lots of common interest groups, complete w/ message boards.

The reason it's been in the news recently has been because of the stalker-riffic add-ons. Everytime someone makes the slightest change to their profile, status, friends, etc, it notifies EVERYONE in their friend's list. For instance, if i were to change my "Favorite Music" in my profile to read "Heavy metal" instead of just "Metal", it show the change to everyone in my friends list. Even random things like "Mr. X and Mr. Y are now friends" show up on your homepage, regardless of if you care. Mr. X has to be added as your friend, though.

I personally hate the new changes. It's really annoying to see every little change your friends make to their profile/friends list/group list. It also makes the pages load slower. I really have no idea why the Fb people chose to enable that junk.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:52 PM

Interesting...would love to check it out but not in any of the supported networks. So once you join you can create other groups that consist of your friends etc?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:35 PM

I have been reading a lot about facebook but really have no idea what it is about? Anyone have any first-hand information this site? http://www.facebook.com

I hate to bump this old post, I just saw the movie The Social Network, it was hard to believe and then I did some background research, the founder made 3 Billion dollars last year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285016/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:11 PM

All chime in to the old cob web`d thread.

Not so hard to believe when you consider that two guy`s that started Google and since sold it are probably quit comfortable as well.

I sure do`t understand facebook....then again I was never real social. :thumbsup:

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:26 PM

http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/06/americas-youngest-billionaires-business-young-billionaires.html

I sure do`t understand facebook

Neither do I.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,652 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:13 AM

I was on Facebook for a few months, but I gave it up. I really didn't see the value of it. When I deleted my account I was invited to take a survey to ascertain why I wanted no part in their community. My answer was that I had more important things to ignore.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#8 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:06 AM

I'm on Facebook, but only because my kids are. The only way I can really keep an eye on them was to become a member.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

A lot of the businesses in town use Facebook and love it.
Personally I dont have time for it & think its really clunky!

I like this site better!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

For business`s it is great. Free advertisement.

Social Networking in and of itself is`t a bad thing I guess. I just never cared to bare my soul like so many do. Throw in the fact that due to the popularity of such sites they are one of the most targeted\exploited resources on the net.

Most of my Family use`s it to keep in touch as well. I tell them if they need to speak to me then the phone or e mail is just fine.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

Im personally not a facebook fan myself, its just one more thing for me to ignore, I really dont have time, on top of that I dont like the whole world to know what Im feelin who I am or what Im doing. Gratned, I can set privacy settings so only certain people can see it, but even then im spending all this added time adding security features, that lets face it, if someone wanted someone could get it regardless of your privacy settings. I dont even keep pertinent info of myself on my hard drive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#12 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

I use it for specific items as asked by my publisher. I don't hang out on there as much as many do. I don't bare my soul to the World as others do. I have my information locked down as much as possible. I use it mainly to push writing and reading items, science, space and my works. I keep my page within a specific size. I have a fan group on there also just to update my readers of new works.

If you allow it, it can become a time wasting place. Many use it in conjunction with Twitter and I am not on Twitter.

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

Actually Twitter, Youtube and Facebook can be linked together. More and more people have Youtube and Twitter accounts today. Facebook is getting unpopular everyday - reason is that its difficult to use as compared to other ones. Most of people I have talked to use Facebook for useless activities like playing Farmville. Facebook will end up being like MySpace.

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

Actually Twitter, Youtube and Facebook can be linked together. More and more people have Youtube and Twitter accounts today. Facebook is getting unpopular everyday - reason is that its difficult to use as compared to other ones. Most of people I have talked to use Facebook for useless activities like playing Farmville. Facebook will end up being like MySpace.

Ummm,what is mypace? lol jk I have a myspace account that hasnt been updated in like 5 years. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#15 ABNINF

ABNINF

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

The interesting thing would be to find out if Grinler ever figured out facebook! LOL

I have a personal account and a business account. I use it more to promote my business though. It is kind of fun to share pics and vids of the family with family.

KC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users