Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to Apply Dell XPS15z Thermal paste?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:51 AM

Attached File  disassemble-dell-xps-15z-20.jpg   65.86KB   0 downloads

Do I apply the thermal paste on both of these CPU-Like chips? I did it a few years back but I'm not sure now, I think I only applied the paste on the first CPU-like chip on the left.

Edited by Kolby-kun, 14 May 2017 - 05:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

One is CPU... the other likely graphics. They both need adequate heat dissipation between surfaces. If that is a thermal pad on the GPU; one might want to make sure the pad is in good shape or replace it with a new pad or thermal compound <--- This only if one  tweaks the heatsink to where one knows the surfaces are tight (before applying compound). Use caution as if the GPU overheats and breaks solder traces that will be the end of it all.

#3 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:31 AM

I totally didn't apply thermal paste on the third CPU(or GPU?) chip as circled in the picture below. Your suppose to right? But I don't see any evidence of thermal paste on it at all.

18519947_10211351885185457_7353694986684

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:22 AM

One needs to ensure there is no evidence or residual leftovers from previous installment(s) of thermal paste. Clean until they (the chips and surfaces of heat-sink that will come in contact with them) look brand new (atop and around).

Please post an image of underside of heat-sink and top-casing (the piece that is between keyboard and motherboard). There may be a flange the third chip dissipates to under top-casing.

Edit: What I see is a CPU, and two GPUs (one dedicated and one on-board). I think, anyway.

Edit: The circled pads give me worry as well. Maybe one will need to acquire some replacement thermal pads to replace these before re-installing the heat-sink system?

1_zps1t1mw4wd.jpg

Edited by bludgard, 15 May 2017 - 10:32 AM.

#5 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

One needs to ensure there is no evidence or residual leftovers from previous installment(s) of thermal paste. Clean until they (the chips and surfaces of heat-sink that will come in contact with them) look brand new (atop and around).

Please post an image of underside of heat-sink and top-casing (the piece that is between keyboard and motherboard). There may be a flange the third chip dissipates to under top-casing.

Edit: What I see is a CPU, and two GPUs (one dedicated and one on-board). I think, anyway.

Edit: The circled pads give me worry as well. Maybe one will need to acquire some replacement thermal pads to replace these before re-installing the heat-sink system?

Great suggestion, I didn't know they were thermal pads will try to buy new ones though I'm not sure if the method is the same as removing thermal paste? Did you think I clean it well enough? There's a little stubborn paste around the chips that is already hardened and I left it alone. 

I'm not sure what you mean about the image, but I'll post it anyway.

18423256_10211353916516239_5333793242619

Regarding the chip circled in red, do you think I need to apply thermal paste on them? I've seen other people take apart their laptops and it is also clean like that but the other two chips have left over thermal pastes. 

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:40 AM

Get as much (paste) as possible off. I will use a toothpick, chop stick or other firm but pliable means to remove all of it. It can and should be done if one wishes to be proper and safe about maintaining your (or others) machine(s). 'Prolly shouldn't, but I use Windex and a soft paper-towel to remove residue from chip table... always spotless when done.

Honestly: No. That mess should be cleaned properly and acceptable replacement thermal conductive material should be acquired. The only reason I am being hard is that if proper heat dissipation is not provided and adequate; one will have a useless/broken laptop. This I do not want as it would seem that you are here looking for dependable and/or knowledgeable advice, no?

Let's get it right the first time so one does not have to open the casing for a few years to come.

Edit: Please post a picture of the underside of metal piece that connects to chip-set. The heat sink itself. I want to see what surface that sits atop the chips.

Edit: Service Manual .PDF (in case one hasn't the paperwork already).

The only thing I do not agree with (from what I read) is the following:

"The original thermal grease can be reused if the original processor and heat sink are reinstalled together."

^^^ This may be true but seems fool-hardy and maybe some misinformation in order to burn chips and sell more? Nah... what am I thinking?

Yes: The chip circled in red does indeed require some thermal conductive material... be it paste, pads or copper shim. It appears that the heatsink covers all of the chips and more. Especially with the dedicated graphics in the laptop... be very careful as there are literally thousands of post on the interwebs of issues with burn GPUs. This does not have to be the case here.

s-l1600_zps5uzy6uar.jpg

Edited by bludgard, 15 May 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#7 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

Thank you very much for your input! If I opened the heatsink now it wouldn't affect the thermal paste right? The part were I just replaced? 

I just searched and found out that apparently you are supposed to replace the pads after opening the heat sink, can I replace all of them with a thermal paste?

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

I would not as there are differing tolerances (gaps) between all the contact points. I would stay with OEM pads where installed and use the compound on the CPU and GPUs (if gaps are tight).

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:54 AM

bludgard is right, I learned this the hard way long ago, substituting thermal paste for thermal pads, this doesn't work, one issue that will first be noticeable is that the far end of the heatsink won't line up with the opening w/out force (a bit of undesired bending of the heatsink pipes). You don't want that. 

Thermal pad replacement pads can be purchased in a bulk sheet from a few eBay dealers for less than $5 shipped (genuine IBM brand) & can be used to re-pad at least 25 notebooks, if not more. This is what I purchased & cost just under $3 shipped. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-100x100mm-x-0-5mm-GPU-CPU-Heatsink-Cooling-Thermal-Conductive-Silicone-Pad-/301510641687?hash=item46336f4817:g:Uf8AAOSwNNxWFLdn

Recently, had to cut of a small piece to replace that on my MSI notebook's discrete GPU. Cool thing is, no mess, until next time to replace. Purchasing direct from the OEM will be far more costly, and chances are, will provide no more than what's needed, will also pay for shipping & whatever taxes applies to your area. 

So far, the replacement thermal pad has performed well, the GPU actually runs cooler with this versus whatever MSI used. :)

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users