Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inkjet printing, how to minimize ink usage: leave printer on all day or not?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:17 PM

I've searched online and there are many tips for reducing inkjet ink usage (draft mode, etc.) but I've found nothing about this basic issue:

If you print only a few pages a day:

Is it better to leave the inkjet printer on all day long?

Or to start it up only when you need to print something?

Basically, does the startup cycle use a lot of ink?  Does the printer being on all day cause ink to dry out?  If both those things happen, which one is worse?

The printer I'm using is an Epson 830.  Please don't tell me I should have bought a different inkjet printer, or a laser printer.  I just want to know how to minimize ink usage with this printer.

Thanks,

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

Not sure I understand...the printer cannot use any ink...unless it actually prints something.

Not sure why you would leave a printer on all day when usage does not warrant such.  I turn on my printer and my scanner (separates) only when I intend to print/scan something.  There is no benefit to having them powered when not in use.

Louis

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

There is no benefit to having them powered when not in use.

Yeah there is...it is generally faster, especially with some inkjet printers. My inkjet printers (which I hardly use...only have them for color or printing 11x17, which I rarely do) take what seems like FOREVER to power up and do their "checks". It is annoying as heck. Even my laser printer (which I use for 99+% of my printing) takes a minute or so to fully power up and be ready for printing.

And with today's printers, they should go into a power saving mode that reducing how much power they use when idle. So, leaving them powered on should not be a huge issue unless you care about every little bit of power used.

It is possible that some inkjet printers might use a tiny bit of ink when powering up while running through the various checks of the printer. That would be ink that would be not seen. I honestly don't know.

Personally, I just leave my printers powered on.

#4 robertdane101

robertdane101

• Banned Spammer
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:11 AM

Usually it is said a printer on idle state but (powered on) consumes less ink. 

Printing in grayscale can also save more ink

But then it's all about perception. That is not a hard and fast rule though. IMO it does save more ink I am a witness myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users