Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about the patches

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jman005

Jman005

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

So after I heard news about the new ransomware spreading like wildfire, I immediately went to check my updates. When the update wasn't there, I went to download it; however, all download packages didn't work, suggesting the update was already on my system. The same goes for my laptop. Has anyone else seen this on their computers? It's possible that something is hiding old updates, so if anyone else has this please post here so we can see if this is a widespread problem. 

Note: This is taking place on Windows 10 professional with automatic updates enabled. 

-Jman

Edited by Jman005, 13 May 2017 - 07:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dantose

dantose

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

Important questions:

1. what version of windows are you using?

2. Which update is the last installed?

#3 Jman005

Jman005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

64 Bit Windows 10 Professional. The latest update would be KB2881030.

#4 blacktoes

blacktoes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

Jman, Now that MS is releasing their individual security updates in cumulative rollups, it's a bit more difficult to see if specific updates are installed on your machine. This coupled with the fact that each OS version has it's own KB article makes it even more difficult. You're best bet is to verify that the March, April, or May Monthly Quality and Security Rollups are on your machine.  Windows 10 have a few variants depending on the build number, but here are the KBs for the latest builds.

May 2017 = KB4016871

April 2017 = KB4015583

March 2017 = KB4013429

#5 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:32 PM

At Jman005, Use this tool. WinUpdatesList v1.32 http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wul.html

WinUpdatesList displays the list of all Windows updates (Service Packs and Hotfixes) installed on your local computer. For hotfix updates, this utility also displays the list of files updated with these hotfixes. In addition, it allows you to instantly open the Web link in Microsoft Web site that provides more information about the selected update, uninstall an update, copy the update information to the clipboard, or save it to text/HTML/XML file.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#6 Jman005

Jman005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

Thanks CrazyCat! Never knew about that tool, it's very useful. I'd create a guide for people that need to install the patches but at this point the outbreak is mostly over. If there's hints at another one, I'll probably make a guide detailing that.

Edited by Jman005, 24 May 2017 - 11:45 AM.

#7 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:41 PM

Thanks CrazyCat! Never knew about that tool, it's very useful. I'd create a guide for people that need to install the patches but at this point the outbreak is mostly over. If there's hints at another one, I'll probably make a guide detailing that.

Glad it helped. The was another tool similar to WinUpdatesList, but I can't recall the name?

As for the WannaCry outbreak? Look at this, Over 98% of All WannaCry Victims Were Using Windows 7. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/over-98-percent-of-all-wannacry-victims-were-using-windows-7/

I suspect WHY Windows 7 was mostly affected was because of this issue with the W7 critical updates not installing.

Windows could not search for new updates. Code 80248014 Windows Update encountered an unknown error".

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576206/windows-update-error-80248014/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users