Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access unknown device ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrScabbyUnderpants

MrScabbyUnderpants

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

Hi,  first post so expect sickness...

Straight to the nub,

Is it possible to access the internal storage of a device without knowing what it is, who made it and having no software or drivers?

I have a tagging device used in the security industry and Im messing around with some ideas on how I can use it in some way, it has a mini-usb port but no markings of any kind. This thing is meant to be used (I think) by a guard to read tags on a route or similar. I have no software either! so no drivers or books, I bought it from a junk shop for a pittance and figured I can write some Java software to use this but having now tried to locate anything software wise and failed unless I can read and write the insides I think its useless!!!!

:-(

any ideas?

If an admin can, can you change the title to something more relevant!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 13 May 2017 - 03:54 PM.
Topic title edited.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

IME...an unknown device is a device sans the proper drivers.

Since drivers are the mechanism Windows uses to communicate with devices...draw your own conclusion.

If you are using a different O/S other than Windows...I can't speak of such.

Louis

#3 MrScabbyUnderpants

MrScabbyUnderpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

Hello Louis thanks for the reply, When I plug this in on my Windows 7 laptop I get no driver download. If I search using windows it does its usual trick of instructing you to wait while it loops. I wondered if the device could be coupled in some generic form, maybe by a program that shows what the thing does. I CAN charge it but it doesn't communicate with a windows PC

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

Try a live Linux disc to see if you can access it in Linux.  Two obvious choices either one of the many versions of 'Puppy' - see Mike Walsh's thread here -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/633850/puppy-linux-corner/

or one of several vesions of Linux Mint, v18.1 is the latest i think, again see here -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/639273/ubuntu-or-mint/

By 'live' i mean a self-booting disc or USB drive, one that will run Linux on boot. This will not turn your computer into a Linux box, it will run entirely in RAM and when you shut down and remove the self-booting media it will revert to being a Windows computer at next boot. But be warned - you might find you like Linux !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

Hi,  first post so expect sickness...

Straight to the nub,

Is it possible to access the internal storage of a device without knowing what it is, who made it and having no software or drivers?

I have a tagging device used in the security industry and Im messing around with some ideas on how I can use it in some way, it has a mini-usb port but no markings of any kind. This thing is meant to be used (I think) by a guard to read tags on a route or similar. I have no software either! so no drivers or books, I bought it from a junk shop for a pittance and figured I can write some Java software to use this but having now tried to locate anything software wise and failed unless I can read and write the insides I think its useless!!!!

:-(

any ideas?

If an admin can, can you change the title to something more relevant!

Depends on the device. If the device has some "common" type storage, then Windows might recognize it and either be able to access it without needing to install another driver or can install some generic driver or something from Windows Update.

From the description of the device and the fact that Windows does not recognize it or try to install a driver, my guess is that you need specific software that you install yourself to use it.

#6 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

Why not start by posting some pictures of it.  Perhaps someone can help you identify what exactly it is.  If there are no clear markings, you might need to open it up and provide high-resolution pictures of PCB so we can see what sort of components it contains and how it might function.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users