Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build for my Classroom

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

The computer I use in my classroom was built in 2010. Awesome machine but getting old. I'm going to take it home this summer and it will replace my Dell Dimension 8400 (ya old, but works flawlessly)

I just purchased a few parts for a new computer

1. ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard 

2. AMD FX 8320E Processor

3. Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (2x8 GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Memory

4. GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video card

5. Rosewill ATX Slim Full Tower Case

6. EVGA 600 B1 600 watt PSU

7. OCZ TL100 240GB SSD

This is NOT a gaming computer. Its for my classroom. I has to be able to run three monitors on my desk and two electronic whiteboards (Promethean 70-inch ActivPanel Interactive displays). It also has to be able to run multiple applications at the same time

My current computer has no problem keeping up with the technology in my classroom. This one should also have no problem

Opinions and comments please

Edited by Ranger SVO, 13 May 2017 - 01:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

I cannot see why that computer is not suitable for classroom. Perhaps it has too few display connectors, other than that it should be fine.

#3 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Thank you for your response. Displays 1 and 2 on my desk will be mirrored to the Activ displays. Only monitor 3 will private (far left). 

Current set up has three monitors and one activ panel display. Display 1 (far right) and activ Panel are mirrored

Desktop%202_zpss9qrhmzw.jpg

This is the ActivPanel (touchscreen) display. There will be two in my room next school year

My%20Classroom%201a_zpszob5ueyr.jpg

Edited by Ranger SVO, 13 May 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

Looks like a good system to me, sure the parts are not the best you can get but if you made this from second hand or got good deals it looks like a nice non gaming rig.

It should dso the job you need it for just fine and that is all that matters.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:41 PM

Did you need to install drivers for the Activpanel? If drivers were required and you plan on using Windows 10 contact Promethean and make sure Windows 10 is compatible with the hardware.

#6 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

Again I sincerely appreciate all that reply. 

Yes I do use Windows 10 and the Promethean software and drivers do work with Windows 10. 

MadmanRB thanks for your input. I am not a Gamer, I'm a High School Math Teacher. The computer needs to run my software, and my interactive student response systems. 

The old computer has no problems doing this. But its 7 years old.

Edited by Ranger SVO, 13 May 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,292 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

Understood why you would want to replace older hardware if you are afraid of the old computer dying out, just curious do you know what was inside the old computer?

Would be interesting to see if you could just transform it into a linux rig or something and donate it.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

Understood why you would want to replace older hardware if you are afraid of the old computer dying out, just curious do you know what was inside the old computer?

Would be interesting to see if you could just transform it into a linux rig or something and donate it.

Actually, I built that computer back in 2010. The school I work for uses Apple, I'm not a big fan. They let me use my own computer. No problem, it has all the software I need.

Anyway

MotherBoard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO

Processor     AMD Phenom II X4 965

RAM   Corsair Vengeance 16GB  (4 x 4GB)

2 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD  (Raid 0)

Video Card 2GB ASUS GTX 660 ti

OS is Windows 10 Pro

When I take it home this summer I will replace the GTX 660 ti video card with a GT610 2GB card (currently installed in my Dell). I only run two monitors at home. It will be replacing my Dell Dimension 8400 (yes its really old)

Edited by Ranger SVO, 15 May 2017 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users