Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

just interrupted Cumulative update now have issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

I accidentally shut down my PC (windows 10 64) while it was Preparing to install or installing (KB4019472).  Afterwards it would not restart for several automatic attempts, then it did it's own start up repair, and check disk, to which afterwards it did start, but things are definitely not working correctly.  Like first and foremost I can not open my start menu, and many of my programs.  My main question is this.  I upgraded to 10 from 7, then migrated to SSD:  IF I reinstall just 10 from USB will it recognize COA/Product Key in BIOS or do I have to reinstall 7 first?  Also on same PC I swap out SSD's/HDD's that contain other OS's ie:  7, xp 8,1, and will that create any issues?

Thanks,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

Microsoft doesn't use a key per se on Windows 10 upgraded from 7. Your hardware ID is stored on Microsoft servers as a digital license. When you reinstall Windows 10 it will autoactivate once online. There is no need to install Windows 7 first. If the other OS's have been activated on the computer there will be no issue when swapping out drives.

Keys are only stored in firmware on OEM computers with Windows 8 and 10 pre-installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

Thank you JohnC_21, I think I'll have to reinstall as I have no restore points, and my "Start Button" still does not function.  

Scott

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

There is an option to reset Windows 10 within itself.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users