Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed secondary SSD, 1 day later computer woulnt run

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bkweibley

bkweibley

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

Something happened to my computer and I'm not really sure what. I installed a new SSD two nights ago and then last night might computer randomly restarted itself. It wouldn't boot back up though. The fans spin and the leds light up, but there is never any signal sent to the monitor and it shuts itself back off after about 30 seconds. It doesn't sound like the normal boot up either so I'm not sure that it's even trying to actually boot up. My computer specs:
Asrock x99 xtreme4
I7-5820K
32gig Ripjaws DDR4 2400
EVGA 650W Plus Gold
MSI GeForce GTX960 4G
Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD
The new SSD that I just installed was the same as above by 500GB

I built the computer a little over a year ago and never had any issues until last night. I had just installed Kodi 17.1 onto the new SSD (first thing I installed on it) a few minutes before this happened.

Here is a video of what is happening so that you can see exactly what I mean.  LEDs come on, fans run, but nothing else and then it shuts itself off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laribtf75Lo&feature=youtu.be

I have also noticed and HDD saver light light up on the motherboard, I dont recall if that has always been on or if it is something new and could be a sign of what is wrong? (See attached for picture of the light)

Any ideas what could have happened and how to fix it? I pulled the new SSD hoping to get the computer to boot back up but it still wouldn't

Attached Files

Edited by bkweibley, 13 May 2017 - 10:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

sure you didnt bump anything by accident while you were in there?

the shutting off could be overheating,

try removing the new drive and see what happens?

#3 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

Im not positive I didnt bump anything, as all the wires a zip tied and jumbled on the backside of the case to try to keep the front side of the case cleaned up.  I also had to temporarily remove the drive bay to be able to get to the side of the MoBo to plug the SATA in.  I removed the new SSD though and also removed the Blueray drive just to make sure that the computer wasnt trying to boot off a different drive but had no luck.  I remember with computers in the past I could actually hear POST, I dont recall if I ever heard it with his one or not though?  Being that its all brand new technology im not sure if we still do hear POST on boot up like we used to?  Im thinking I may need to remove all zip ties and start unplugging and replugging in cords to make sure they are all connected properly.  Would the computer shut off that quickly due to overheating?  It only runs about 30 seconds, and its the same amount of time each time, even when I let it sit over night and tried again first thing this morning.

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2017 - 12:34 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Would the computer shut off that quickly due to overheating?

sure it could, i have seen them shutoff in less then 10 seconds from overheating...but i could still see display on the monitor...not saying thats your problem, but its a possiblity

Edited by mikey11, 13 May 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#5 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

There is no signal to the monitor at all on this :-(

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

i would start by removing the new drive and check all plugs and cable connections,

if still a no go try booting from a bootable cd or usb drive

can you even get into your bios ?

its too much of a coincidence here, i would bet you have accidentally bumped something in there when you were monkeying around

Edited by mikey11, 13 May 2017 - 11:39 AM.

#7 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

I have already removed the new SSD just trying to get back to running the way the computer did before I added it but no luck.  Im currently going through checking any cords I can think of but havent noticed anything yet either.  I am not sure how I would get into the bios since I cant see the screen :-(  Making me wonder if something could have gotten fried somehow?  :-(  I dont have any bootable cd or usb drive to try using?

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#8 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

I actually think it may be POSTING?  I do hear some thing for like the first 3 seconds after I turn the computer on.  Very quiet but like little clicks or something like that.

#9 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

start disconnecting devices that are not nessesary,

begin with your video card (remove it) if you have an on board slot on your motherboard try connecting the monitor to that

Edited by mikey11, 13 May 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#10 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

I will try this right now!

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2017 - 12:36 PM.

#11 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

Shoot, there is no onboard for the monitor.

#12 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

do you have another video card you could try?

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#13 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

No i dont.  Even stranger I thought, well ill just pull the video card out and try to boot, to see if the computer at least stays on instead of shutting off.  I cant get the video card out.  It feel like its literally stuck in the board.  I tried gently rocking it back and forth and everything to get it to come loose, it feels like if id pull anymore id end up breaking something...  So im not even sure how to get it out.  There arent any clips or anything like that, that I am missing are there?  The Video card has been in there for over a year and never had any issues or anything like that
I put my recovery usb in the computer thinking maybe if POST was hitting and couldnt read the hard drive, that it would go to secondary and read the thumb drive, no luck there either though

If the SSD that has the windows install on it was somehow bad, the computer wouldnt restart itself, it would just sit there correct?  Making me think either power supply issue or MoBo?  I cant 1 year old MoBo going bad, I feel like if it was a power supply issue that it would shut off sooner than 30 seconds into the bootup, and considering the computer boots in 10 seconds I should still be seeing the screen and the computer booting up until it shuts off.

Mod Edit:  Merged posts - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#14 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

Got the video card out, the computer still shuts off after 30 seconds even without the video card in there.

#15 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

your motherboard or power supply are possibilities but i just cant see that happening, its too much of a coincidence that your computer was (presumably) running fine, then you make a hardware change and now it will not boot

also its not likely for the computer to shutdown like it is from a motherboard or power supply issue,

do you have another power supply to try? or are you able to test it out?

unplug EVERYTHING from the motherboard except the power supply feeds, does that change anything?

did you bump your heat sink/fan assembly that cools your processor? if the connection between the heat sink and processor somehow came loose it could overheat and shut off very quickly

Edited by mikey11, 13 May 2017 - 01:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users