Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Random Crashes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pyran8

pyran8

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hello,

My computer started recently to reboot itself randomly, sometimes mid booting up and sometimes while regular working.

I have basic knowledge in computers and you (whoever kind enough to try and help me :) can talk freely.

I don't believe it's a hardware malfunction because when i run the computer on safe mode it never crash.

This is my dad's computer and he might have been downloading some addons/viruses that infect the computer, if so i didn't encounterd any (I ran maleware byte scan and a free antivirus one as well).

I've checked windows 7 system files (sfc /scannow) and it seems alright.

Been doing hard disk checks as well (Fujitsu Diagnostic Tool) and again, nothing wrong.

Also tried to reinstall windows without any progress.

All of that made me think it might be a virus.

If so please tell me and I'll move the topic to the relevant category.

Please, I'm starting to get desperate here.

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Thank you,

Pan.

Edited by pyran8, 13 May 2017 - 08:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Repair - UNcheck "Automatically Restart"

Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.

when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All

Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 pyran8

pyran8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

"Automatically Restart" already unchecked.

In crashes I never see a bluescreen,the computer just reboot like I'll press on the physically power button for 5 seconds.

The linked software Don't show any crashes reports as well. (another reason I suspicious it's a virus)

I'm talking to you right now through 'safe mode with networking' because regular boot up would crash every time now.

thank you for your time.

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2017 - 07:16 AM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

Okay. If automatically restart was unchecked then it's not a bsod causing the reboot - needed to be sure.

If it works in safe mode let's try a selective startup:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a dedicated app such as Autoruns (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#5 pyran8

pyran8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

When I choose 'selective startup' and start windows in normal mode, the computer still shut down randomly.

I get very frustrated trying to figure it out.

I noticed in msconfig when I uncheck all of the three items, there are still 5 services that are still checked after I press Apply:

-Group Policy Client

-Microsoft Antimalware Service

-Microsoft Network Inspection

-RPC Endpoint Mapper

-Task Scheduler

no matter what i try to do they won't uncheck.

and when I do restart windows in normal mode with them, bam. random restart again, sometimes during boot, sometimes 3-5 min after boot.

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

That's fine - don't worry about those items. Okay, go back to a normal boot. Let's check ram: download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#7 pyran8

pyran8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

Sadly, the test have been finished without any errors.

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2017 - 07:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users