Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleeping With Distractions?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:30 AM

A lot of stuff has been going on recently at state, and it's mostly really freakin annoying (to me, anyway). Kids outside the dorm yelling until 3:30 am, suitemates and rooms above me playing music at relatively loud volumes, causing the bass to be heard throughout the land, doors slamming, roomy snorring and waking up at 7:45 every morning (regardless of if he has class), and more things i can't even begin to describe.

I keep trying to tune out these slumber-robbing annoyances, but i'm not getting very far. I've contemplated ear-plugs, but then i wouldn't be able to hear my alarm very well in the morning. I'm a relatively heavy sleeper, it's just GETTING to the REM stage i have trouble with.

So, anyone have any suggestions about how to fall asleep faster amidst these disturbances?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:58 AM

Eight parts gin to one part vermouth.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:02 PM

Nice touch their John, missed your callig. LOL
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:28 PM

Lol, 2 problems w/ that jg: I'm turning 20 in about 3 months, and alcohol isn't *technically* allowed in the dorms.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

Try using a set of earphones and playing something relaxing. I used to listen to "thunder storms and rain" when I was in the Army to help me fall asleep amidst the noise of the typical barracks screwballs.

They will most likely fall out during the night, and if you play the cd for an hour or so, you'll be able to focus on the sounds or music or whatever you're listening to rather then the typical dorm screwballs. This should allow you to wake up to your alarm clock in the morning. Take care not to have to much slack in the cord though, as you don't want to roll over and have it rap around your neck. :thumbsup: I've never had that happen to me, and I've fallen asleep like that for probably 3 years in the Army and all 7 years of highschool (kidding, only 4 years of highschool!). I've known other people that have done the same thing, and none of them have ever been choked by their earphone/headset cord. Worst thing that ever happened to me is that I rolled over with a headset on and it pulled the portable cd player off the night stand sending it to the floor and breaking it. It also made enough noise to wake me up.

If this isn't an option, you could try going for a run or heavy exercise before getting ready for bed. This will make you a little more tired and (might) help you fall asleep faster.

If neither of these works, resort to jgweeds suggested course of action. :flowers:

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:57 PM

Other than going solo. Try telling roomy to put a nose tape on. Those breathing apparatus you see on football players. Aren't there some type of floor monitors you could mention the late volume and activity to?
Try stretching in bed . Arms out to sides then up over head as if reaching the sky while standing. Then point toes up and hold for a 5 count ,then down for same. Relaxing yourself for a better nod off. Steve's ideas were good also..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:09 PM

Thanx for the idea steve! I don't have any of the earbud headphones, but i could easily pick up some cheapos in the near future. The only ones i have are the massive, saucer-sized old-style ones. They look horrible, but deliver a pretty good sound.

I could try the stretching thing, but my movement is limited. Bunk beds don't allow for a lot of free-range motion. As for the loud volumes, i've told my ra (residency advisor) multiple times, but he doesn't seem to notice/care. If it continues past the point of mere annoyance, i'll go to the higher-ups.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:50 AM

Glad I could help! You could try stretching before you hit the sack. Actually, exercising, then stretching (you should always stretch after you exercise!) might be even better! It'll wear you out at night, then you'll feel more relaxed while trying to fall asleep. After a few months of running, you won't feel right if you don't run! Well, at least I used to when I was in the Army. Now the only running I do is to the fridge or to the bathroom!!!!!

BTW, I'd avoid those 1970 style gigantor type headsets......you'd roll over on them in the middle of the night and, well, you know........it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:27 PM

Hey Heretic Monkey,
Have you ever tried deep abdominal breathing before going to sleep? It is a proven relaxation technique. Take a deep breath,way down into your belly so your stomach area expands,hold it for a a second or two and let it out with a sigh.Do this five or six times just as you lay down to go to sleep.Works like a charm!
This is also a good thing to do when you find yourself in a nasty traffic situation!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:09 PM

I think you will find that things quiet down as classes and homework begin to sink in to the mob and they get into a routine after a few weeks of heady first-freedom. Two aspirin an hour before sleep can help.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:00 PM

I use white noise in a loud enviroments. Try a fan or something that is constant and soothing. Somehow I focus on that and sleep.

A word of caution about regular aspirin usage. Don't use if allergic to aspirin (obvious), and remember that aspirin effects delays blood clotting... so you will bleed easier if injured.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:15 PM

Try a fan or something that is constant and soothing. Somehow I focus on that and sleep.

I have done this too and it works great.

#13 shortsexychica

shortsexychica

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:54 PM

Try a fan or something that is constant and soothing. Somehow I focus on that and sleep.

I have done this too and it works great.

I'm so hooked on sleeping with my fan that I can't go to sleep UNLESS I have one going everynight....It works like a charm! :thumbsup:

#14 mrs ed

mrs ed

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:11 AM

Be a man and tell people to shot off if they don't lisen dot he same thing but 10 time biger if you know what I mean, [noise]

Edited by mrs ed, 09 September 2006 - 02:19 AM.

av-90996.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users