Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 computers 1 monitor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gyrocog

gyrocog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:24 AM

Hello,

First time posting here.

I seem to have a problem, and I'm hoping for some input from you guys so that I can hopefully solve it and make it work again. I'm quite computer savvy, but I'm going out of my mind trying to fix this thing for the past 2 days.

A little back story. If you're not interested in it, just skip to the configurations and setup.

My computers aren't latest or greatest, but they work well for what I need them to do. I use one for my every day works (graphic design, website coding, and making music, among other things), and the other is mainly there as backup for websites that I maintain. Anyway, about a month ago, I borrowed that backup computer to my cousin's son since his laptop died and he needed a computer for school (the usual crap - text processing, powerpoint and stuff like that). I took out hard drives out, since he had one, and he took the case there. Fast forward to 3 days ago, I got an email from the hosting company that they are going to migrate the websites to another server. I thought it would be best to have backups before they do just in case something goes wrong (it happened before). So, I took my hard drives to my cousin's place, hooked them up, and backed-up my websites. However, I couldn't wait for Windows updates to finish, being that they have a rather slow internet connection for it to be done quickly, and he wanted me to check his hard drive because he said it behaved a bit weird, so we agreed that I'd take the computer back to my place for a day, finish my updates and check his hard drive, since I had another computer I could hook it up to if I need to and all the tools I needed for me to do it much easier. And that's where the problems started.

>> CONFIGURATIONS <<

PC 1 (work):

CPU: Intel Pentium G3250 @ 3.2 GHz

MB: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate

RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 Kingston (running @ 1400)

VGA: GeForce GTX550-Ti 1GB (DVI + VGA, connected to monitor with DVI-to-HDMI converter)

PC 2 (database backups):

CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ @ 2.4 GHz

MB: Biostar MCP6P M2+ (nForce 430 chipset)

RAM: 3GB DDR2-800

VGA: Integrated GeForce 6150 SE (VGA)

Monitor: LG 22MP55 (1920x1080x60, IPS, VGA+HDMI inputs)

>> PROBLEM <<

The problem is quite simple to describe. When I hooked PC 2 up to the monitor (integrated VGA -> VGA input), the screen was (and still is) just showing "No Signal" even though the computer boots up just fine. That's it.

>> TROUBLESHOOTING <<

What I tried:

1. Re-seated all power connectors and RAM modules into their slots - "No Signal".
  2. Disconnected hard drives - "No Signal".
  3. Took out the CMOS/BIOS battery - "No Signal".
  4. Installed an old 8800GTS card (2x DVI, so I tried both DVI->VGA and DVI->HDMI) - "No Signal".
  5. Tried different power supply - "No Signal".
  6. Switched GTX550-Ti to PC2 - WORKED!!!

>> DEDUCTIONS AND NOTES <<

• Windows on that computer is working fine. I can access it via remote desktop app from my Android phone. That would remove CPU and RAM as culprits.
  • Device Manager is showing that everything seems to be working fine.
  • Both inputs on the monitor are working fine when connected on the GTX550-Ti.
  • The 8800GTS card is working properly when put in the other computer; indicates that it's not broken.

The only thing I haven't tried is to take it completely apart and put it back together again. But I have a feeling I'm missing something, and possibly something stupid.

In short... Does anyone have any suggestion or advice how to solve this?

2pc1screen_diagram.png

PS. I am very sorry if I posted in the wrong section. If it's wrong, would someone be kind to move it into an appropriate section? Thanks!

Edited by gyrocog, 13 May 2017 - 03:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

Did you check what screen resolution the computer is set to? And the display refresh rate? I doubt it would matter, but it is one thing that I did not see listed.

When you use the GTX550, what type of connection are you using? It should not matter as you seem to have found that both the VGA and HDMI connections on the monitor are working with the other computer (based upon the diagram), so it does not seem to be an issue with the monitor.

You have also more or less addressed my biggest suspect...a loose connection...by trying two different dedicated graphics cards (one that worked and one that did not). This along with testing with the other computer, suggests you have verified that it is not a cable issue and in the process also effectively plugged in the cable(s) multiple times helping with the loose connection suspicion.

Does the "no signal" happen from boot (i.e. you don't see any POST messages)? When doing all these tests, are you doing it with just the one computer attached or is the other computer also attached? In other words, is there a chance that if done with just one computer attached that the input switch is getting stuck in the unused input "position"?

#3 gyrocog

gyrocog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

Did you check what screen resolution the computer is set to? And the display refresh rate? I doubt it would matter, but it is one thing that I did not see listed.

When you use the GTX550, what type of connection are you using? It should not matter as you seem to have found that both the VGA and HDMI connections on the monitor are working with the other computer (based upon the diagram), so it does not seem to be an issue with the monitor.

You have also more or less addressed my biggest suspect...a loose connection...by trying two different dedicated graphics cards (one that worked and one that did not). This along with testing with the other computer, suggests you have verified that it is not a cable issue and in the process also effectively plugged in the cable(s) multiple times helping with the loose connection suspicion.

Does the "no signal" happen from boot (i.e. you don't see any POST messages)? When doing all these tests, are you doing it with just the one computer attached or is the other computer also attached? In other words, is there a chance that if done with just one computer attached that the input switch is getting stuck in the unused input "position"?

Actually, come to think of it, it was connected to the lower resolution screen at my cousin's place. I'll have to check about it and report back.

Yes, "no signal" is from the moment I turn it on. No post, no Windows, nothing.

I tried it with both computers connected and it alone (PC1 alone works just fine - I'm on it right now). PC2 doesn't work alone or when PC1 is connected. I'm not sure what you mean if input switch is getting stuck. On my monitor? I don't think it is, since the monitor is switching from HDMI to D-Sub (shown on the screen)

#4 gyrocog

gyrocog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:44 AM

Anyway... while trying out few more things, my monitor just stopped giving any picture, no matter what source it was coming from.

After trying out both computers on a TV, it became apparent that the monitor is busted, but in a weird sense. The panel seems to be working, since I still get "check connection" when I unplug cables and the menu (partially - can't access full menu when it's off) so maybe VGA and HDMI inputs got busted.

In any way, I'd like to mark this as solved, since now I know what the problem was/is, but I'm not sure if there's a way to do that. I'll edit title to indicate that.

Cheers, everyone.

EDIT: Or not. I can't seem to edit the first post anymore. If any of mods could do that, it'd be great. Thanks.

Edited by gyrocog, 14 May 2017 - 04:45 AM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

I'm not sure what you mean if input switch is getting stuck. On my monitor? I don't think it is, since the monitor is switching from HDMI to D-Sub (shown on the screen)

Basically, I meant if it was getting stuck in one input mode (i.e. stuck on HDMI) while that input was not the one connected if you only had one computer hooked to the monitor. A moot point since you figured out it was a problem with the monitor (just not the problem that I was attempting to see if it might be the problem).

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

EDIT: Or not. I can't seem to edit the first post anymore. If any of mods could do that, it'd be great. Thanks.[/size]

There is no mechanism on this forum software to mark a thread complete or solved. And we don't go back to edit titles of thread to that point.

You last post is enough for this thread to be "known" as solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users