Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Please insert a disk into USB Drive (E:)'

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 achevy

achevy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

Last month I attempted a full reinstall of Windows 10.  I decided to completely wipe everything so as to start fresh...and in the process, thought I accidentally nuked my (now former) laptop.  Flash forward to this week.  I was toying around with the older laptop to see if I could salvage it in some way (no harm, I figured) and attempted to boot from the flash drive again.  Same result...'no bootable drive detected' or something like that.  After several attempts at figuring that out I plugged the USB into another laptop with several Linux isos ready to go and received 'Please insert a disk into USB Drive (E:)'.  So, apparently, my issue wasn't due to screwing my laptop (at least I hope not) but instead to wiping out the USB drive.

How can I get my flash drive to be, for lack of a better word, responsive?  I don't care about whatever I had on there beforehand, I just want it to show up and work normally so I can stick a new OS on the old laptop.  I had found some program while searching that would solve this problem but I can't for the life of me find that.  All I need is for it to work again and I'll likely be fine.

If this topic is meandering or incoherent/unhelpful in some way, I apologize. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

Attach the USB flash drive to your computer and open a command prompt. Type:

diskpart

list disk

Is your USB flash drive detected? What number is given to the USB, disk 1 or 2? It may be disk 2.

#3 achevy

achevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

USB's not detected.  I think it should be disk 2, if memory serves. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

If not detected I think the drive is dead, especially if not detected on other computers.

When booted to linux and the drive attached is anything shown when typing 

fdisk -l

In terminal? 

#5 achevy

achevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

I'm not running Linux - Windows 10 on my current laptop, 10 & 8 on the other two in the household.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

Sorry for the confusion on my part. I thought from your first post you had a linux box. You can boot a live linux DVD or USB flash drive and then attach your USB flash drive. There have been times when linux will find and mount the USB where Windows fails.

Because you have Windows 8 and 10 you may need to disable SecureBoot and enable CSM or Legacy boot in order to boot the linux distro. For your purposes a good distro would be Puppy. You can download Tahrpup here.

tahr64-6.0.6-uefi.iso

Boot to the Puppy desktop. You will see your hard drive partitions labeled sda1..sda2..  Attach your USB flash drive. A USB icon should appear on the desktop. Click once on it and a file manager will open showing the drive's contents. You may get an error saying the drive cannot be mounted. 

Edit: If the drive is detected but cannot be mounted it still may be possible to bring it back using the partition manager on Puppy called Gparted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 May 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#7 achevy

achevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:20 PM

alright, problem (hopefully) solved.  I found the name of the program (EaseUS) and it looks like I resurrected my flash drive.  So I can call this problem solved.  Sorry for any waste of time :)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

No problem. Glad you got it sorted. Easeus is a good partition manager. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users