Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Computer Suddenly Ridiculously Slow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 windows7frustrated

windows7frustrated

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:51 PM

Hello, I'm new here; I signed on to BleepingComputer specifically to look for help with this problem:

A few weeks ago, my desktop computer began running extremely slowly.  I've been trying to resolve the problem myself, since then.  Doing anything, such as going to Control Panel, takes minutes.  I made a screen shot of my Task Manager processes, and that took 20 minutes from start to finish.  Internet navigation is the same.  As I can best recall, this all started about the time there was some sort of Chrome or Firefox update, and Windows showed one of those "critical error" (or something similar) descriptions of it when I went into Event Viewer.  However, I think there was a Windows update around the same time.  One of the first things I tried was to go back in time with a System Restore.  Obviously, that didn't work.  I went back further, but that didn't work either and there were no other restore points.  When (painfully) navigating the Internet, after a 5-minute-or-so lockup, I would get "Warning: Unresponsive script" errors with chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml:**** (**** being 4 digits, never the same). I understand that the error was more likely due to my slow computer and not the browser, but I uninstalled both my Chrome and Firefox browsers, anyway.  Internet Explorer was not running on this computer so I installed it and I am using it now, although it is Version 8 and it is out of date.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex 755, with Windows 7 Enterprise, Core2 Duo CPU E8400 3.00 Ghz with 4GB RAM.  I use it as a sort of base station and home office computer, in a home network with 3 other laptops.  This computer has always had full Symantec antivirus protection.  It does not have wifi; it connects to the Internet via an ethernet cable. The computer works fine in safe mode, and of course that is how I am using it, now.

I sure would appreciate any help I might be able to get!

wtask%20mgr.jpg?dl=0

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2017 - 04:14 PM.
Moved From Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phemus

Phemus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

Hello, Please Press Windows Key + R then type msconfig and enter. Go to startup section and untick unnecessary programs.

Also I suggest you to do a virus scan for your security, here's an explanation of how you can do it;

Firstly download Adw Cleaner from here: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Then do a scan and delete all of files found by program. Then you'll have a reboot on computer.

After that download Malwarebytes Antimalware from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Download the Free Version from the link above. Do a full scan. If viruses keep appearing even you delete them sometimes Trojans, Viruses, Malware, etc stop you installing and/or updating Programs to remove them.
If that happens, reboot into Safe Mode with Networking (from F8 list of Startup Options), and install, update and scan from there...

Hope I explained it enough

#3 windows7frustrated

windows7frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

I should have said in my initial posting that I ran a full scan of Malwarebytes Antimalware (Version v2017.05.03.07) toward the beginning of my investigation of the problem.  I've probably run Malwarebytes 100+ times on my various computers over the last 15 years or so, and I think this is the first time it didn't find a single problem. 

Will now try your suggestions with msconfig and Malwarebytes adwcleaner.

#4 windows7frustrated

windows7frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Adwcleaner will not download in safe mode, at least with IE8.  Will have to use regular mode, which might take days if it works at all.  But am doing it.

#5 windows7frustrated

windows7frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

Adwcleaner will not download in regular mode with IE8.  IE8 is not supported.  I have tried a few times over the last 2 weeks to upgrade IE8 to IE11, but I always get errors and it will not install.

I am trying to reinstall Firefox so that I can download Adwcleaner (in regular mode, not safe mode) and it is just hanging.  So, will try the downloads in safe mode.

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

- When a computer is slow and Malwarebytes doesn't find malware then I would check the health of the HD first. Run GSmartControl

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/

How many pink lines show up in the "Attributes" tab ?

#7 windows7frustrated

windows7frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

The HDD is 2 TB, 2 years old.  I already had tried ending processes in Task Mgr.  MSCONFIG startup programs:  I removed 3, including a Chrome thing and since I had completely uninstalled Chrome, I don't know why it was there.  Removing the 3 seemed to help with startup, but as soon as I went to the Internet, I had the same problems. ADWCLEANER found and deleted some ugly-looking stuff, but I still have the same problem.  Running a Malwarebytes scan again came up with 0. Further research seems to indicate that the problem is the chrome://browser/etc. thing that hangs up the browser.  My IE8 refused to work (out of date) and I still cannot upgrade to IE11, so I had to reinstall Firefox in order to try downloading Microsoft-recommended tools in order to get IE11 going.  Unfortunately, it turns out that I already had all the recommended tools, patches, updates, etc.  I still cannot get IE11 to install (I figured this was my last hope: to just get rid of Firefox and only use IE11).  I spent hours and hours trying fixes for the "chrome://browser/etc." problem that I looked up on the Internet, but nothing has worked! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users