Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Computer doesn't turn on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NicoForce

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

Suddenly when I was working on my PC today, it froze, when I tried to reboot it, it just didn't POST, and one of the two lights it has was reddish, the mobo gave me some beeps in the first 3 times I tried to restart it; however, it stopped giving me the beeps. The specs of the computer are the following:

- Ram : 1gb

- Intel Pentium 4

- Seagate Barracuda 64gb

- Western Digital SATA 64gb

- 300 W PSU

(I don't know about the mobo version, and the case says HP compaq)

Now I'll be a little more specific, I've started nuding the whole system, and when I took out the Seagate Barracuda 64gb, it made a POST; nonetheless, since the harddrive I took out had the O.S. I believed I couldn't go any further, I went through the BIOS and tried to save the config, as a conclusion there, I thought the problem was the hard drive.

After that, I tried to turn on the system again (without the hard drive) and it gave me the same problem of the beginning. I took out both hard drives and the problem persisted.

Following that, I took out the battery, the system loaded just fine (without both hard drives), I turned it off and put the battery again, I gave me the same problem.

I'm pretty sure, there's no problem with the monitor, I suspect the PSU even tho the fans and the PSU itself work just fine(the psu has this green light on).

I'm no expert, so I dunno how to proceed. I'll be waiting for some input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NicoForce

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

I managed to resolve this issue.

I completely dismantled the case and cleaned it completely.

I specially cleaned the area between the processor and its own fan which had some dirt. The PSU also had a bit of dirt; however, it was working without problems the whole time, even though I suspected it.

To end this war between me and this computer, I cleaned the RAM sticks with an eraser.

After completely building it and connecting every cable, I managed to make it work.

To conclude, no part was faulty, it just needed some cleaning.

#3 hamluis

• 55,014 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

Glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users