Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive D Disk Failing?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 john1816

john1816

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:56 AM

Hello all,

To start off, yesterday I plugged in my USB flash drive to my computer. As I turned my computer off, i forgot to pull it out. Hence when i turned on my computer again, it was turned on while the USB flash drive was still plugged to my computer. 

I don't know if this issue is relevant but I have experienced problems before (even with my previous computers before), where the problems are caused by having an external device plugged in. I have had one plugged while the system is booting in an older computer and when I had booted, my internet couldn't connect. 

In this case what happened today was I went to a black screen and the computer told me which device to use to boot. Seeing that I had my USB flash drive plugged in while i booted, it gave me the idea that my boot order isn't in order. So i just plugged out the USB stick and rebooted. The computer then returned to the same black screen where it asked which device to use to boot. I just rebooted a couple more times, then it booted and i came to the desktop. 

After about 2-3 hours, I was running an application installed on my 2nd internal drive D (Not a windows application, just a video game). What happened was: The application that I was running, installed on drive D, crashed. When i tried to double click on the executable file it says "It is not a valid win32 application". When i tried to delete some temp file in it, it returned me an error "Cannot delete because there is an I/O error..." something along those lines. I then rebooted my computer. 

After another 1-2 hours of running that same application again, the application crashed and i looked at my computer and my drive D was missing. It made me panic a bit but knowing my data could still be there, i just hoped for the best and rebooted my computer. Drive D reappeared and i was able to access/read/write my files. 

After again another couple of hours using the application, it crashed again and drive D disappeared. I tried to listen the sounds of my computer and noticed there was this beeping sound whenever the application had crashed and my drive D disappeared from my computer. 

What i am not sure though is if my hard disk drive is physically damaged? or was it caused by the USB flash drive and the wrong boot order? (I haven't touched the boot order at all)? As of now I am already backing up my data in Drive D just in case. The way that I have replicated the problem so far is by using the application for some time and then alt+tabbing. It hasn't happened before, it had only happened now. The Drive D also doesn't seem to be considerably sluggish. I have not heard any clicking or beeping sounds from my computer before the USB flash drive incident, so the nearest culprit I could trace back is having a USB device connected. 

My case could be similar to GregP (Late Poster) before in this thread, where his device vanished because of an external device plugged in. 

https://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=64886.0

Am looking to see if this can be fixed in the software side of things if I can. Installing all the applications on a new replacement drive is a bit tedious and time consuming for me :(

My 2nd Internal Drive D is a 931GB Seagate ST10000DM003 SATA 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

I would give the factory reset in the BIOS a try.  This puts everything back to original settings from the factory.  Often I've had some nasty things get into a system from a USB port device. 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

Input/Output errors concerning a drive...may indicate a loose connection to the motherboard/PSU.  First thing I would do is disconnect/reconnect the drive in question.  If the errors continue, then I would run the appropriate diagnostic on the drive in question.

On some systems, Windows may not boot if an external drive is left in an "ON" state, with no On/Off switch on said drive.  On some systems, it doesn't matter.  I can leave my flash drives or an external drive plugged in...and my system boots, as long as the drive is without problems.

If I have a problematical hard drive attached, no matter whether direct-to-motherboard or via USB...the system won't boot until said drive is disconnected.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#4 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

Hmmm that is strange though, I haven't tampered with the insides of my PC yet, if it had been loosely connected then I would have probably gotten the problem sooner. Last time i remember connecting things inside the PC was a year ago, but I will give it a shot :) and also try to reset CMOS tomorrow.

However just to check on the software side of things, I checked the SMART attributes of the drive (I myself don't know how to interpret this) but it seems to be alarming? I have HD Tune Pro Installed, it seems to be alarming. 

QLJoLi2.jpg

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:09 PM

I concur...the drive needs to be replaced ASAP.

Just to confirm...I would download/install SeaTools For Windows, dc3 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595453/restart-your-computer-to-install-windows-updates/?p=3857682 .

Louis

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

Before running another diagnostic I would pull what important data you have on the drive first. Doing the diagnostic could stress the drive enough to make it fail outright.

#7 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

The scan shows it passed the test, although I am still experiencing the problem even after I made sure the plugs were fitted in. I haven't reset the BIOS yet, not sure how to on my motherboard. 

6NYYZ9v.jpg

k4l1teD.jpg

Edit:

When i do something like right click on the drive>properties>chkdsk the drive may disappear from my computer and cause the beeping sound, or use the application as said earlier. 

Otherwise if I just left it alone, i can still access my files in that drive. If it disappeared in my computer, I just reboot so it appears again. 

Edited by john1816, 12 May 2017 - 08:55 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

Have you tried a different data cable for the drive? It wouldn't hurt to do a memory test using memtest86+. Burn the iso, boot the disk, and run it for at least 6 passes.

http://www.memtest.org/

#9 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:33 AM

Ok, sorry it took long. Ran memtest86+ for 6 passes after i booted it via disk, result is pass. I bought and tried a new SATA cable, problem persisted.

Bad sectors increased from 408 to 416 in about 2 days. Then it jumped to 716 yesterday

Also reset BIOS, no improvement

Not sure how a HDD with 1 year of use could easily get damaged this easily. Not sure if the bad sector is physical or logical http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-are-physical-logical-hard-drive-bad-sectors-how-to-repair-them/, either way i bought a new HDD 

At this point, i already backed up all my data on that drive - and ready to swap in the new one. 

Just wanna know though, tools like chkdsk and other software like HDD Regenerator won't work to fix it? (Assume that the bad sector is physical in nature)

Edited by john1816, 15 May 2017 - 03:33 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

Bad sectors increased from 408 to 416 in about 2 days. Then it jumped to 716 yesterday

The drive is failing. It's good you were able to back up your data in time. I don't know of any software that can repair a bad sector that is physically bad. The data on the sector is scanned and read a number of times and if possible moved to a new sector.

https://ma.juii.net/blog/repair-bad-sector-like-seatools

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:17 AM

Without the manufacturers diagnostics to get to the heart of the problem.  The increasing number of bad sectors indicates an imminent failure.  Whether from an actual "crash" where the read/write head actually touches the platter surface.  This can damage the head and cause bad reads from the drive and with increasing areas of bad sectors.

#12 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

This drive is one of the notorious "DM" drives that are failing left and right.  It's not nearly as bad as the ST3000DM001's that saw nearly 40% failure in just a couple years, but they are still pretty bad.  The drive probably has a couple bad sectors that are causing it to go unresponsive and disconnect when it tries to reallocate the sector.  If you keep using it, the media cache or sector re-allocation functions of the drive will crash out and it'll just get stuck in a busy state.  We see this series of drive come in weekly for recovery.

Backup any important data, and dump that drive.  Get yourself a good HGST or Toshiba drive instead.

Edited by DataMedic, 15 May 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#13 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for the insight

I have run into a dillema apparently

After i took out the defective drive (note this is not the drive where windows is installed), whilst (wearing an Anti static wrist strap), plugged out the SATA cable and its power connector, I booted the PC for the run. I get the "reboot and select proper device error" after the boot screen of my motherboard. I panicked a bit (thinking that i might have somehow ruined my main drive???) I was careful enough to remove the defective drive without colliding it with the other parts. 

So i tried to check the boot order, rebooted, same result. I also tried reset to default settings in BIOS, same result.

Then just on second thought, I decided to put the defective drive back in. My system booted and I came back to the desktop. No damage on the main drive according to the SMART parameters and same health status on the defective drive. 

What is going on??? I want to be able to boot without the defective drive installed but apparently i seem to be stuck with it?? (Need it connected in order to not get the "reboot and select proper device error"

**Edit

I plan to move all of my pc components to a more spacious case, but as I have stumbled into this obstacle, I need to be able to solve it first :(

Edited by john1816, 16 May 2017 - 12:50 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

I would surmise the files needed to initialize boot are on the defective drive.  Download and install EasyBCD free and set the boot drive to your System Drive.

Under BCD backup/repair what drive is listed when you select change boot drive?

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/basics/changing-the-boot-partition/

Edit: Sometimes this can be repaired by booting an install disk, select Repair, and then doing a Startup Repair. This may take up to three attempts to do the repair. 

Before attempting change the settings with EasyBCD please post a screenshot of Disk Management with the defective drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 May 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#15 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

I recall installing my 2nd drive (D drive), now defective, after a few months from having the comp all assembled. Not sure how the boot files can be relocated there...

EasyBCD shows the backup and restore boot loader settings are in drive C (main drive)

*Edit

Ok I've set the Boot Drive to C:\ with EasyBCD

eAj8Gdn.jpg

Disk management with defective drive:

JkXyAWM.jpg

Edited by john1816, 16 May 2017 - 02:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users