Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion Thread, Microsoft Brings Ubuntu, Suse, and Fedora to Windows Store

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

This is interesting news. If you are running Windows 10 Microsoft will now offer different Linux distros  through the Microsoft Store;

http://thehackernews.com/2017/05/microsoft-windows-store-linux.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheHackersNews+%28The+Hackers+News+-+Security+Blog%29&_m=3n.009a.1492.zn0ao0ax2l.w18

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

I just don't trust M$.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

I just don't trust M$.

You might not believe it but there are people that work at Microsoft that say the same thing about Linux!!!! :hysterical:

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

I just don't trust M$.

You might not believe it but there are people that work at Microsoft that say the same thing about Linux!!!! :hysterical:

Personally, I can well believe it, Rocky. But I can definitely see Nick's point.....and, by & large, I agree with him.

MyCrudSoft never do 'something for nothing'. Not ever. There's always an 'angle'.....

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 13 May 2017 - 08:11 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

It never ceases to amaze me of how soon people fail to remember Microsoft and all of their under-handed tactics to force Win 10 upon users. With that in mind, it is probably safe to assume this is part of Nick's opinion as well as others. And I fervently agree.

I just don't trust M$.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

I remember when Microsoft changed the Windows 10 upgrade dialog window where clicking on the red X to close the window installed Windows 10 anyway. That was really shifty.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/229040-microsofts-latest-trick-clicking-x-to-dismiss-windows-10-upgrade-doesnt-stop-upgrade-process

#7 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:22 AM

Why would you want to get them from the Windows Store anyway, when you can download them direct from source ????

Personally I'd never DL anything from anywhere other than its source website.

As for Microsoft's business ethics, well the least said about them the better. Their actions throughout the whole W10 upgrade process have been deplorable, and are what have driven many of us to seek an alternate OS.

#8 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:28 AM

Reading the article, much ado about nothing.  Sounds like MS is simply offering "prepackaged" containers/virtual machines of some distributions to make it easier for someone to run it on a Windows (likely 10) machine.  Target for this is likely a developer in a corporate environment that has to use a Widows machine for all the office stuff like email and documents, but needs to develop on a Linux platform.

If you're adept at setting up virtual machines on Windows, this is a "meh, so what seems to come to mind".  If you're not or your bosses want to have something consistent, this is a reasonable solution.

You don't trust MS?  Well, they haven't changed for the better since XP, so why are you not on an alternative OS already?

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#9 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

Well, they haven't changed for the better since XP, so why are you not on an alternative OS already?

That's a matter of opinion, XP had a whole bunch of issues that were addressed better in later Microsoft OSs. However since W10 was introduced, it appears that Microsoft are more interested in data mining their customers, than they are in supplying them with a product that they can customise to their own particular tastes and needs.

Personally I've been using Linux in one form or another for quite some time, but I've only moved to it on a more permanent basis since I changed hardware (my previous machine only ever really got on well with Puppy), and since it has become clear that Microsoft is no longer heading in a direction that I wish to take.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

Well, they haven't changed for the better since XP, so why are you not on an alternative OS already?

That's a matter of opinion, XP had a whole bunch of issues that were addressed better in later Microsoft OSs. However since W10 was introduced, it appears that Microsoft are more interested in data mining their customers, than they are in supplying them with a product that they can customise to their own particular tastes and needs.

Personally I've been using Linux in one form or another for quite some time, but I've only moved to it on a more permanent basis since I changed hardware (my previous machine only ever really got on well with Puppy), and since it has become clear that Microsoft is no longer heading in a direction that I wish to take.

Paying $200 for Windows 10 Pro in order to have Microsoft data mine you is adding insult to injury.

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

Isn't this more or less the same thing as their already implemented Ubuntu shell? Or is this actually a full blown GUI Linux running in Windows?

I have the Ubuntu shell running on my work computer, which is actually pretty useful since we run AlienVault, which is all Linux. So helpful for running SSH easily. 

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users