Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to completely uninstall Microsoft Family Safety?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ScarXL

ScarXL

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

My OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

I am trying to run the setup for Age of Empires Gold Edition from my old CD but whenever I try to load the setup .exe a window pops up that says "Ask an adult for permission to run: Microsoft Age of Empires/Autorun"

How do I completely disable this family feature? I don't need it.

My account is an Administrator and it is connected to a Microsoft Account which doesn't have any family settings turned on, yet it still happens.

I tried disabling the following scheduled tasks:

Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\

FamilySafetyMonitor = Disabled

FamilySafetyRefresh = Disabled

I also tried ending WpcMon.exe process after and rebooting. It didn't work.

Ultimately I tried deleting "ParentalControls" folder from C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps and now it shows this error:

6b6f36e85d3442f2ad97047a83515edd.png

Any tips? I don't even use Family Safety.

The AOESETUP.exe file to install AoE is the only executable in which this happens. There may be more .exe files but so far this is the only one I ran that makes this show up.

Edited by ScarXL, 12 May 2017 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

Hopefully this helps. Even though you do not use family safety it may be active.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security/family-safety-help/903fa963-76be-40fd-80cd-2e69f65ffe74

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10555/microsoft-account-how-to-turn-off-family-features

#3 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

I already tried both of those, none of them helped. Thanks for replying though.

Edited by ScarXL, 12 May 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,676 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Have you tried installing in Safe Mode?

Edit: If you enter Services is there a Windows Family Service? If there is disable it. It could be called Windows Live Family Safety.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 May 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#5 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:18 AM

There is no service for Parental Controls or Family Safety, and actually, extracting the files from the CD to a folder and then trying to install from there works. But I can't get it to autorun.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,676 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

You mean you were able to install the program. I am not sure what you mean by getting autorun to work. If installed can you create a shortcut to the launcher on the hard disk?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users