Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone help diagnose this Seagate External HD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 whiteout75

whiteout75

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:08 AM

Hi,

New here - hello! So, i have taken the plunge and fully opened up my Seagate Barracuda 2TB External HD. It is making some strange noises and i was curious as to what was going on inside.

I have made a video of power up with the case fully off:

https://youtu.be/YNxQdVGyIlo

As you can see the arm goes across, but then the spindle appears to lose power completely and i am left with a blue flashing light and a drive which isn't read by my PC.

I would be so grateful if someone could shed some light on what i'm sure is a fairly common problem, particularly with Seagate drives it seems!

Many many thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:06 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer

Sorry but I have bad news for you, an HDD should never be opened outside a special clean room specifically built to do Data Recovery, you can read about it from example on this link: http://www.drive-recovery-hints.com/Never_open_cover_of_hard_drive.html

Clean room example

Of course its ok to open the drive to check how is build inside but without expectations of recovering the data!

Edited by SleepyDude, 12 May 2017 - 06:07 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

One thing that all drives have to do on start up is to position the heads at a "home" spot and read a specific byte that sends the heads into the center to find the clock track.  If it fails to find the clock track the drive will reduce the platter speed and try again to find the clock track.  If that fails, the drive may spin down and stop or just spin at a reduced speed.  A sharp ear will catch these sounds on boot up and are a diagnostic clue.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

The only thing I'd suggest at this point, and given that the drive has been opened as it has it's not likely to work, is downloading TestDisk to see if it can do anything with that drive.  After having replaced the cover.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

Donate the parts to the local high school, it isn't worth anything anymore but a demonstration tool.  It will never read or write again.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

Donate the parts to the local high school, it isn't worth anything anymore but a demonstration tool.  It will never read or write again.

Maybe pull the rare earth magnets first.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users