Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet seems to 'bottleneck' at times (possible Google WiFi/Double NAT issue?)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greycobalt

greycobalt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:23 AM

Hello all! My household got Google WiFi a few months ago and it was spectacular. Great speed and coverage in the whole house. The problem was that the WiFi devices couldn't see the devices connected to my ISP's router through ethernet, which meant that my printer was inaccessible from the desktops and that my phone couldn't find my PC to stream/transfer files when I wanted.

To fix all this, I disabled the DCHP on the router and made the Google WiFi our main router. After a rocky start setting up my Plex server and resolving a Double NAT issue (at least, I thought I resolved it) everything worked ok for a bit.

This past week though, it started acting up. When loading a webpage, it will (about 40% of the time) fail to load and list DNS as the issue, or it will just spin like it's loading and never actually load until I retry the page. This has been happening more frequently on my phone, and I've been leaving the WiFi off to just not deal with it - apps wouldn't update, it would have trouble contacting Google's servers, and it would load slow as hell.

I thought it was just me, but my friend reported running into the same issues today. Since I know it's not confined to a single computer on the network now, what's my next step in finding out the problem? We have Frontier FIOS, so our up and down speed is blazing when we test it. Did I configure our router wrong? Is there too much traffic for the Google WiFi router to handle? Any suggestions on what to try next would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

" I disabled the DCHP on the router and made the Google WiFi our main router"

So did you assigned a static ip to the google routers wan interface?  Otherwise that was a mistake.

Disabling dhcp does not affect double nat.  Only way that works is to disable dhcp on the google router and connect the google router via one of its lan ports to a fios lan port.  You would first assign the google router a static ip in the fios subnet so you can admin it.

You may want to contact your ISP and have them put their router into Bridge mode.  That will truly make your google router the main one.

#3 greycobalt

greycobalt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

I gave the Google WiFi unit a static IP and assigned it the DMZ in my Frontier router. That 'fixed' the Double NAT (i.e. I was able to connect to my PC again).

Unfortunately, Google hasn't built in the functionality to disable the DHCP yet. It would be a much easier solution!

I can set the Frontier router into Bridge mode, but this has the unfortunate side-effect of disabling Frontier's TV services to our house. :-/

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

consider setting the google router up as per this article

http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001-connecting-additional-routers/

#5 greycobalt

greycobalt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

That was my first thought as well - unfortunately, setting the Google WiFi point to those specifications disables its mesh function, which is why I own it. :(

#6 doctore

doctore

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

This past week though, it started acting up. When loading a webpage, it will (about 40% of the time) fail to load and list DNS as the issue, or it will just spin like it's loading and never actually load until I retry the page.

Sounds like DNS issues. You can test it by manually setting up the DNS on one of your computers to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS), and flush the dns cache, then see if this solves the issues (on that particular computer). If it works - use those dns IPs on the Google Wifi, both on its static IP and as part of the DHCP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users