Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install Windows 7 from an .iso onto an SSD drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Togapika

Togapika

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

Recently bought a Samsung 850 Evo SSD from someone who was using it for a Mac computer. I'm running an AMD FX-6300 processor with Windows 7 Ultimate. At first I just attempted to use the .iso install but it told me that I wasn't able to install it to the SSD because of the type of format it had. I did a full reformat on the SSD which still did not allow me to install. I then "cleaned" it on the diskpart, but all that did is make it no longer show up among the other drives, as well as no longer showing up if I try to install.

I've got Windows running fine on the hard drive I've been using, I'm just trying to get the SSD set up so I can switch over to that

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2017 - 08:44 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:28 PM

At first I just attempted to use the .iso install but it told me that I wasn't able to install it to the SSD because of the type of format it had. I did a full reformat on the SSD which still did not allow me to install. I then "cleaned" it on the diskpart, but all that did is make it no longer show up among the other drives, as well as no longer showing up if I try to install.

I've got Windows running fine on the hard drive I've been using, I'm just trying to get the SSD set up so I can switch over to that

There's disk partitioning tools in the Windows 7 installer. At the point where it says unable to install due to the format of the disk, you simply have to delete the existing partition and continue and it will automatically create new ones and format them etc.

You say it no longer shows up among the other hard drives. Do you mean it is not detected at all in Device Manager or Disk Management?

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:25 AM

As Jonuk76 stated . or Clone the Old drive to the SSD and swap out and boot.

You will need a Powered USb adapter like this https://www.ebay.com.au/p/?iid=371714616562&&&chn=ps

To Clone you can use Minitool Partition Wizard Free Version to format and then Clone https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

#4 Togapika

Togapika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:57 AM

You say it no longer shows up among the other hard drives. Do you mean it is not detected at all in Device Manager or Disk Management?

No, I just mean it doesn't show up in My Computer or in the list for installing Windows 7. It still shows up in the device manager as well as when using the command prompt

#5 Togapika

Togapika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

DiskPart says that the disk is online, but I cannot change the volume letter via the assign command, because I can't see the SDD in the volume list, only in the disk list.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:48 PM

"My Computer" will only show formatted partitions which have a drive letter assigned.  Unpartitioned disks with no partitions (or unrecognised partitions, or simply partitions without a drive letter assigned) won't show up.

If you want it to have a drive letter you need to create a new partition and then assign a drive letter.  You can use DISKPART but most find it easier to use Disk Management, as per instructions here - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg309170.aspx

Note you shouldn't need to do this to install Windows 7 from the setup program.  The setup program can install to unpartitioned space. By default I believe it creates a "System Reserved" partition, and a single large partition on the remaining space. On GPT/UEFI systems I believe it adds an extra partition.

One other thing, if the disk has a GPT partition scheme, then Windows 7 needs to be installed in UEFI mode.  Thinking about it, this may be a cause of your problems, as if the disk is GPT, and you have booted the installer in legacy mode, it won't be able to install to it (although you may be able to delete all existing partitions in the custom install menu).  Just for reference, all Mac's use a GPT partition scheme, so unless you deleted the partition table and recreated it as MBR, it's probably still in GPT format.  This is a good guide to installing in UEFI mode - https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

Edited by jonuk76, 12 May 2017 - 11:51 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users