Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Major Xp Problems!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aweaver

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:03 AM

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I recently bought an emachines w2040, second hand. When I got the system home and booted it up I found it infected with many trojans, spy/adware, and viruses. I was unable to install norton, which is my preferred virus defense, so I used a combo of trojan hunter, hijack this, and help from the web in getting rid of most of them. I dont have any running in the back ground anymore, and none reinstalling themselves at start up. I hate being without some type of defense, so I installed Mcafee., but I am unable to update it. It will download all the new virus deff, but hangs up when it get to scan.dat. Also When I click on windows update, I get a blank page. I downloaded the windows xp-2000 script 56 kb91734 4-x86-enu.exe, but it tells me that the software has not passed windows logo testing, and then it says INF install failure. Its the same when I tried installing windows xp service pack 2. Then it said setup could not find file specified. Internet Explorer is so screwed up that most of the sites you have to go to wont display at all, I get a cannot find server page. Iam having to use nestscape mozilla, which I dont really like. Also most programs I download from the internet and try to install , hang up at installation, like yahoo messenger, and bearshare bro. I am at a loss as to what to do. I ordered the restore CD from emachines, but If its possible to fix it without using that, I want to try. So if anyone has any suggestions, or soulutions to my problems, they would be greatly appreciated. Again I have an emachines w2040, running windows xp service pack 1A. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :thumbsup:

I was unable to install norton,

Antivirus software usually does not install or update properly on an infected machine. If your machine is infected, it is usually too late to install protection of this type.

I installed Mcafee., but I am unable to update it.

See comment above.

so I used a combo of trojan hunter, hijack this

HiJackThis should only be used under the direct supervision of a trained expert. If you delete (or 'fix') the wrong entry your computer will no longer work correctly or perhaps not even boot.

I ordered the restore CD from emachines

Excellent idea, because you need them at this point.

Your computer appears to be so messed up the best thing to do is to 'scrub' it and reinstall Windows. I do not know if your computer has a floppy drive or not, because what I am about to tell you is easier to do with a floppy drive:

You can run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows, being sure to choose "Full Format" instead of quick format when prompted.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.

If you insist on using a Peer to Peer file sharing network, it will only be a matter of time before you are badly infected again. I promise. About 80% of the files that are shared contain malware.

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users