Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange nondescript blue screen. No dump files. Related to addition of case fan?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 daffy1234

daffy1234

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

Specs:

Spoiler

Note about the Sysnative files: I have 2 disabled devices. These are USB 3 controllers that I'm also having trouble with. I haven't put much time into it and I may make a post about it later, but it isn't the focus of this.

So backstory. I've been having troubles with thermals lately. Never gone black from overheating (yet) but my CPU temperatures are uncomfortably high under heavy load. I got a second case fan. Ever since I installed it. I've been getting a BSOD with this message about twice a day. (Typed exactly as seen)

Spoiler

No memory dumps are present. C:\Windows\Minidump is empty and C:\Windows\memory.dmp is nonexistant. I've read the sticky about having no dump files and it didn't help. My paging file is on the C drive, my paging file allocation is equal to my physical memory (32739mb), windows error reporting service is Manual, and the page file settings are managed by the system automatically.

My screen is set to turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity. If the BSOD happens during this time (usually while I'm sleeping) the BSOD is not visible. The monitor is getting input, but the screen is black. I set my screen to turn off Never and the following morning I saw the BSOD.

I have since disconnected the fan. It's still screwed in but disconnected. No BSOD yet, but it may occur in the coming hours.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Hi, daffy1234,

I remember you from a previous topic. :)

What you're experiencing is a hardware malfunction stop message. This occurs when the processor detects a hardware condition and is quite rare.

oAmAb8c.jpg
From the last time we talked, what changes have been made to your system except the addition of a secondary fan? Something tells me your PSU could be acting up. Can you start by reducing the load on your system by disconnecting all unnecessary components, as covered in this guide? If that works, try putting that fan in again. I'd also check all your connections in the case — just one improper connection can wreak havoc.

Thanks.

Regards,
bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

I remember you as well! Thanks again for your help the past months. :D I guess building a computer is way harder than I originally thought, lol!

Yes, that's the error exactly.

The only real change I made is when I installed the fan, I moved my other case fan from PWR_FAN to CHA_FAN2/3 (forget which, both are 3 pin), and I set both case fans (the original and the new one) to be Full On in the BIOS (or UEFI... hardware terminology throws me off sometimes). Nothing much other than that.

I forgot to mention in my post that I've checked connections, reseated the CPU, replugged the CPU fan, and changed the thermal paste (arctic silver 5 like last time). The ram and gpu I didn't touch, but I didn't touch them during installation of the fan either. (I had messed with the CPU cooler in hopes of installing the new one, but then I realized I didn't have the right screwdriver, so I reinstalled it. Hence why I reseated the cpu)

There are no unnecessary components inside my computer other than the DVD drive, which isn't even being used. My motherboard doesn't come with a video port, so I cannot get any video out without my graphics card installed. I also do not have a more lightweight card available. If it helps, I can downgrade to the generic VGA driver for the time being.

Edited by daffy1234, 11 May 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#4 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

Also, this isn't a thermal issue. I logged thermals from all sensors up until the BSOD and it stayed well within the normal range up to the crash. I can post this log (from SpeedFan) if you wish.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

There are no unnecessary components inside my computer other than the DVD drive, which isn't even being used. My motherboard doesn't come with a video port, so I cannot get any video out without my graphics card installed. I also do not have a more lightweight card available. If it helps, I can downgrade to the generic VGA driver for the time being.

I understand. :) Can you still disconnect your DVD drive? It does use some power when it's not running still. Also, can you run on only one stick of RAM for the time being and see whether if that helps?

If the computer doesn't shut down randomly, I'd also try updating the BIOS/UEFI (and of course Windows), to rule out some compatibility issues. Since there is a rare chance of a driver problem (highly doubt it), I'd get ALL available driver updates from your motherboard's manufacturer's website.

Finally, I'd also suggest running Prime95 (read the details in the link), to stress the CPU and RAM. Does the system overheat, BSOD, hang?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users