Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jlartch

jlartch

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

HP Envy 15.

Had to reinstall a new hard drive on my laptop (installing a Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SSD), so I created recovery media using a flash drive through HP's Recovery Manager.  Changed boot order on laptop, installed new hard drive, plugged in flash drive and booted up computer.  The computer started reinstalling the OS on the new hard drive just fine.  The computer was installing files, drivers, restarting multiple times and then the HP Recovery Manager Windows popped up saying "Restoration Incomplete.  The restoration did not complete."  I could select 3 options: (1) Save Log; (2) Details and (3) Retry.  I tried Retry, but I kept getting an error message stating "Insert Recovery Media" even though the flash drive was plugged into a USB port.  I even tried plugging the flash drive into another USB port - no luck.  I tried restarting the computer, but the same error message popped up.  I tried saving the Save Log to a flash drive, but that didn't work.

I also went into the BIOS, reset to the default settings and changed the date to 01/01/2012 and tried to run the recovery that way.  I still received the restoration incomplete error noted above.

The most recent "details" log is posted below:

14:07:29.32] ChkErrBB.CMD :  Detect some error during PININST_BBV.
[14:07:29.32] ChkErrBB.CMD :  Check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootWarn.log
[14:07:29.32] ChkErrBB.CMD :  or, check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootMerge.log
[14:07:29.35] ----------------------------------------
[14:07:29.35] Critical error condition was detected at BBV1...
[14:07:29.35]
[14:07:29.35] Refer the following file if exists.
[14:07:29.35]   - c:\system.sav\Logs\BurnBootWarn.log
[14:07:29.35]   - c:\system.sav\Logs\BurnBoot.log
[14:07:29.35] Switch to 2ndCap's WinPE and show [Recovery Manager]'s Imcomplete dialog.
[14:07:29.35] because RM's dialog can't appear on [Start] screen on Win8 environment.
[14:07:29.35] customer may not notice RM already shows Error dialog.
[14:07:29.35] ----------------------------------------

Can you provide any guidance on how to make this work?
there might be unexpected reboot during BBV Clean or Last...
The process will cause CTO panic because the image might not be normal...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

This sounds like a corruption error in the HP recovery manager. Try downloading the ISO direct from MS and using that. You will need 'Rufus' or similar to create a bootable USB memory stick and obviously access to another computer to do all this.

You should not have an authentication problem since you are just installing to a new drive but if you do a phone call to MS should resolve it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8

I have just noticed that the above link may be for the UK version in which case just google 'Win 8.1 ISO' and you will find yur relevant MS link.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jlartch

jlartch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

Chris,

I forgot to mention I figured it out (not by me, but someone else).  I had to go into the BIOS, reset to default settings and then change the date to 1/01/2012. Once I did that, I saved and exit and ran the recovery.  Everything worked!

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

That's the second time in a couple of days I have seen the date 01/01/2012 mentioned. Is there some significance to this date ?  Anybody know ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users