Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Drykill

Drykill

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:50 AM

Hi,
When I turn on my PC the bios background loads up and is covered in black pixels. When the post? loads up most of the writing is jibberish. If I hit 'del' to enter the bios it has random lines on the screen and some of the titles dont make sence (eg stanford cosmos settings) and the writing is constantly shifting around but but only a few pixels if you get what I mean. All this started yesterday after my PC froze while playing battlefield 2 now the pc crashes a few minutes after loading windows. The graphics card started having errors like 'the vpu/gpu? hasnt responded to software commands and has been restarted' from catalyst control center.
Is it a combination of both motherboard and graphics card failure or corrupted software on the hard drive because I cant log onto windows now, it either blue screens or freezes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:44 AM

This is a most likely the failure of a hardware component since it occurs while the computer is POSTing and before Windows has started to load.

The first thing that I'd check would be trying another monitor to see if that's the problem.

You can check your hard drive by using the SMART tab in this free utility: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

You can check your video card by trying another, known to be good, video card.

I, personally, would suspect the video card because of the errors that you reported in your post.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Drykill

Drykill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

The hard drive seems fine, so its motherboard and/ or graphics card. I tried flashing the bios to see if that fixes it but I can't stay logged onto windows long enough to download the new bios because it crashes due to the graphics accelerator no longer responding. I'm going to try get hold of another card to see if the motherboard is still worth keeping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users