Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email client have more email than the server - How to sync?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lukyff7ac

lukyff7ac

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hello you the community

This is probably a silly question, however I can't seem to find out how to do it

I have an email account managed by a server at work, which I have logged into two email clients, Thunderbird and Outlook 2013 on a VM.

The emails at Outlook and the Webmail in the server website seem to be synchronized, even the markers I have on them, however, I have a lot more emails on Thunderbird, from earlier dates, those of which I need to be on the other two (Outlook and the server).

Is there a way to do that? To sync the e-mails on Thunderbird to the other two?

I hope I was clear enough.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might provide an answer.

Best regards,
Lucas Almeida

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

I have a somewhat similar situation...in my case, it stems from the manner in which I set up the Thunderbird client initially...and then changed.  It may also result from the mnner in which I mported mail files from a former email client.

Sounds to me as if your setup prefernce should be IMAP

Pop3 vs IMAP.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 May 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#3 lukyff7ac

lukyff7ac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Hello Louis,

Thank you for your reply.

You're right in the fact that the type of account on Thunderbid is POP and in Outlook is IMAP. I should've know that's why it's correctly sync'd with the remote server. Sorry for the rookie mistake.

However, the solution to the issue is still missing. I can't seem to find the option in Thunderbird to change from POP to IMAP. In "account settings", it only states the type of account but don't present the option to change it.

I could edit the server adress from pop.emailserver to imap.emailserver but the type of account is still set as "POP" and I think it'll present an error if I do that....

The issue, in fact, and the action I wanna perform is just to get the old e-mails that are in Thunderbird and copy them to the server, which will, in turn (I hope) get downloaded to Outlook when refreshing.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

You may need to save the extra emails to a local only folder in Thunderbird (not sure if you can, but I would assume you can as every email client I have ever used can) and then delete the current email account setup from Thunderbird. Then you could re-add the email account as IMAP and then copy or move those extra emails over from the local only folders to the IMAP folders.

There is a slight chance that you might be able to just add the email account as a new IMAP account while keeping the old email setup. If so, then you could just copy/move the emails from the old setup to the new account setup. I don't know if this is possible/will work, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users