Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maildir Spammed by Cron messages

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

Hi! I'm running a small home server. One of the things I use it for is a personal email server. After removing a package that interfered with postfix, I get a message from Cron every 20 minutes saying about how something is missing. I've checked all the Crontabs and they're empty! How do I stop these messages?

Attached File  2cbb7ba9e5999b1e3fd8b93455300a22.png   216.92KB   0 downloads

Attached File  9152619a4a5146a9a8131a3431ca1ccb.png   20.22KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:22 AM

My suggestion is to either reinstall the package & see what happens, and since you have Server experience, if there's future issues, possibly reinstall the OS. 

Somehow, the removal of the package broke something. You can always try opening the Package Manager, under Status, there should be an option to 'Fix Broken Packages', if so, try that & see what, if anything improves. For now, it's all I know to do. 

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

I opened Synaptic and removed all the leftover packages, and the messages stopped! I can't believe I didn't think of that. Anyway, thanks!

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:01 PM

Glad to hear you have your Server going again w/out pesky errors. :)

Sometimes running the Terminal command (w/out the quotes) 'sudo apt autoclean' will clear unused packages, on the other hand, sometimes not. Should a similar issue arise again, something to consider. 

Good Luck. hopefully now it'll run for as long as you wish error free. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users