Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

~ !Router Hot! ~

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KZ91820

KZ91820

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

Recently got a new router. The other day I noticed a slight burning smell and the bottom of the router, and the table it sits on is very warm. It seems like it's putting off quite a bit of heat. There's really not a lot of space between the bottom of the router and the table (maybe the thickness of a credit card) because the small rubber pieces on the four corners of the router are only like 1/32" tall, if that. You would think they would have slightly larger ones so it would allow more breathing space under the router. So, I'm going to look for some spacers to put under it on the four corners.

I'm not an engineer, but it amazes me that common sense doesn't come into play when these manufacturers design products. Of course, it could be designed on purpose this way so the devices wear out quicker. Who knows.

Edited by KZ91820, 11 May 2017 - 09:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

Yes it appears newer router don't have the amount of vent holes or slots as the older ones did.. I guess it's a looks thing.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:52 AM

Recently got a new router. The other day I noticed a slight burning smell and the bottom of the router, and the table it sits on is very warm. It seems like it's putting off quite a bit of heat. There's really not a lot of space between the bottom of the router and the table (maybe the thickness of a credit card) because the small rubber pieces on the four corners of the router are only like 1/32" tall, if that. You would think they would have slightly larger ones so it would allow more breathing space under the router. So, I'm going to look for some spacers to put under it on the four corners.

I'm not an engineer, but it amazes me that common sense doesn't come into play when these manufacturers design products. Of course, it could be designed on purpose this way so the devices wear out quicker. Who knows.

You can likely find larger rubber feet at a local hardware store.

#4 KZ91820

KZ91820
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

I saw a pack of staples and thought.....bingo! So I broke the staples into smaller pieces and there ya go. Now my router sits on four little squares of staples. My wife saw it and said, "What the heck are you doing with staples?" Hey, it's FREE and it works like a charm. Added alomst a half inch to the height. :bubbles: 

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:53 PM

Was going to say cut a card board tube into 1 or 1 1/2 inch lengths
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Rang0

Rang0

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

You could always add a small desk fan to help disperse heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users