Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resolution undetectable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

I don't... I don't even know how to describe this, but the best I can is that my Radeon drivers are bleep up in just such a way that none of my games can detect resolution, and OpenGL can't run. I've never had this issue until the recent 17.4.4 update to the Crimson drivers.

Is this a known issue from AMD or is the R7 350 just trash? I have an old GT 440 in my old desktop and I'm tempted to replace the Radeon card with it, even though I know my graphics experience will suffer horrendously. Another option is to just put up with this bullcrap reinstalling the drivers every day until AMD either gets their bleep together or Christmas rolls around so I can ask for a GTX 1060.

Yeah, that's another bit of utter weirdness: Once I reinstall the drivers the issue's fixed for about a good several hours. Or maybe my shutdown timer is what's breaking things, but I have no idea how that could be since it's just a bit of code added onto a shortcut to shutdown.exe.

Anyway this is what I mean by "OpenGL can't open"

2017-05-11%202.png

And my resolution not being detected

2017-05-11.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:36 PM

Have you tried the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility yet?

#3 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

Not yet. I've mostly just been doing the uninstall the somewhat hard way: Uninstall the AMD Software utility, restart into safe mode then run the DDU utility with the clean and restart option, then installing the specific driver from the AMD driver website. Next time this happens (I recently used the above mentioned method to reinstall my drivers) I'll try the AMD clean uninstall utility.

#4 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

Okay it seems doing a clean install of 17.5.1 fixed the issues I was having. Just maybe. We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic.

#5 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Drivers borked again when I booted up the computer today. Did a clean install using the clean uninstall utility from AMD. Didn't fix it. In fact I think I know why it borks. When I did the clean uninstall, the Radeon software crashed when I clicked "restart now". Could that be the reason?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

Safe Mode uses a limited number of applications and drivers.  In Safe Mode the graphics driver used is a native Windows driver, the Radeon drivers aren't used in Safe Mode.  If the graphics are better in Safe Mode it would only because Radeon drivers are absent.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/igGxN5tYuBphqeMKRzJnwCs

Make and model of PSU is the SeaSonic G-Series 550W PSU. But yeah, here you go. A fresh install of the drivers fixed the issue again but again, it was broken when I turned my computer on today. I don't understand why this happens, but hopefully this'll help.

#8 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

And yesterday when I turned my computer on, I was able to change my resolution and my games that use DirectX could run. It's working today too. This is... really weird.

#9 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

Was playing Skyrim when it froze on me during a loading screen. Restarted my computer and now my drivers are borked again. What. the absolute. hell. Why does this happen? This is pissing me off now.

#10 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

I updated my bios then updated to the latest optional driver from AMD and that seemed to fix it for a few days, but now restarting doesn't fix it. Either that or randomness is hating me. Does anyone have a solution for me other than "get a GTX 1050 Ti"? Cause that's' not really an option right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users