Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Scared Of Power Outage

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:42 AM

Hi all,
Just recently I had installed the free version of ZoneAlarm on my father's PC. A few days ago there was a power outage in town. I just noticed that the Zonealarm icon is missing from the taskbar. I know it's in the system somewhere because when Spybot? intercepted ZoneAlarm trying to access the internet and asked if it can be allowed, should of looked at where it was before clicking the allow button. Anyway, I did a search for it in Programs and in Add and Remove Programs, used the Search for zonealarm and I couldn't find it anywhere. Anybody have any ideas to where ZoneAlarm is hiding out? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:29 AM

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Hi.....the link is to a neat little free program called RegSeeker. Just type in to search for ZoneAlarm and if it is in your registry, it will locate all keys, files or folders and allow to you deal with them in many ways (with back-ups). I love it and use it all the time.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:28 AM

Thanks cilypudi, I'll certainly give it a try.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

Go to start, search, for files or folders, enter zone alarm, and select search now. When the results appear on the right side move your pointer over the listing and it will show you where the file is located.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:32 AM

There should be a setting in ZA to allow it to be shown in the System Tray - try changing that.

Also, an uninstall and reinstall may also fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

ZoneAlarm is listed in the programs menu as "Zone Labs", not Zonealarm.

Open the program by clicking on it in the start/programs.

The Icon in your notification area should then appear.

If ZA does not automatically load on a reboot, uninstall it, reboot and then install it again.

By the way - a power outage and/or surge can hose your PC!
Everything from the operating system to all other software can be corrupted and the hardware itself can be destroyed.

I recommend a UPS (uninterruptable, battery backup power supply) which can be had for less than $50 to prevent such disasters.
You do not need a very large one if you set it to just shutdown your system after 5 minutes although even the small ones will probably run your system for much longer than that.

Edited by Enthusiast, 07 September 2006 - 01:01 PM.

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:27 PM

HI and thanks, treid all your suggestions and nothing, except when I tried RegSeeker I got this.

Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

"C:\ProgramFiles\ZoneLabs\Zonealarm\zlclient.exe"

I looked in C: Program Files and there is no ZoneLabs listed there. Spybot intercepted ZoneLabs trying to send out again, this time I looked and it's from C:Program Files, same as above. Do I need to download and install again? I don't know where else to look. Thanks again.

Enthusiast, my father has everything plugged into a surge protector. We get on average at least 4 power outages a year and he's had this PC for about 3 yrs. now. So far it's still running.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

Well, you are having a problem now aren't you?

A surge protector only protects against one component of the danger of a power outage - excess voltage that usually spikes when the power comes back on or a voltage surge transmitted any time for that matter.

A hard shut down, which is what happens when the power goes out, can corrupt just about any code in the computer, that's why it triggers a scandisk (checkdisk).

Sometimes it can fix itself, but other times..............

#9 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:57 PM

Looks that way, doesn't it? I guess it didn't fix itself this time. Will advise my father about getting a UPS.

#10 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

cool software cilypodi
ROOTKITS BAD!

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:16 AM

FYI - you can get voltage problems not only from the power outlets - but also from your network connection.

Lightning strikes have traveled through my coax broadband connection, through my cable modem and into my LAN twice. Each time they've taken out a NIC card or two. I'd suspect that this can also happen with DSL and dialup connections.

Since then I've put surge protectors on my coax cable and have purchased surge protectors with coax and RJ-45 protection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,637 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

Hi Buddyme2,

After looking at your HijackThis log thread, I believe the power outage had nothing to do with your Zone Alarm disappearing. You have signs of the new Gromozon rootkit that is a real PIA to both detect and remove and does all kinds of strange things on your system.

Normally we don't help with other problems when you still have a log pending, as what you do as a result of advice here may interfere with what your HJT helper has in mind. And I know you have linked kairis to this thread, but I would like for you to run a quick check to confirm my suspicions and I'll get with kairis on what else to do.
---------------------------

Please download http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/dumpwin.zip and save it to your desktop.

Once the file has completed downloading, extract the file by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract all. Then keep pressing the Next button till you see the Finished button. Now click on the Finished button.

A folder should have opened. Now double-click on the dumpwin folder and then double-click on the dumpwin.bat file. When it has completed it will have opened a notepad. Please post the contents of that notepad as a reply to this topic.
------------------------------------

BTW, most UPS's will also protect your network connections.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#13 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:41 PM

Hi Papakid,

Here is the report you asked for, I hope it doesn't have bad news written on it.

REGEDIT4

[Windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"=""
"DeviceNotSelectedTimeout"="15"
"GDIProcessHandleQuota"=dword:00002710
"Spooler"="yes"
"swapdisk"=""
"TransmissionRetryTimeout"="90"
"USERProcessHandleQuota"=dword:00002710

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:52 PM

I didn't know you were in the process of obtaining help in the HJT forum.

Please act on their instructions only and discontinue any other attempted fixes until they finish.

After that you are welcome to return to this thread if any problems persist.

Enthusiast

#15 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:22 PM

I thought this was related to the power outage that we had last week since the previous HJT was said to be free of teh smifraud infection. Maybe now I have something else :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users