Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchscreen not working after Windows 10 update

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 broman400

broman400

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

Hi, I have an HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook 15-4010nr. Some time ago I updated my computer from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, after that my touchscreen stopped working. It never bothered me until now. I tried going into the Device Manager and uninstalling the driver but the computer does not detect that there is a touchscreen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

It's possible the hardware does not support Windows 10. Hp offers no Windows 10 drivers for this device. See if the steps shown in the below link help.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-touchscreen-windows-10/

#3 broman400

broman400
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:14 AM

I read through that page but there is no HID touchscreen driver located in the list of devices in the Device Manager and the computer does not detect that my PC even has a touchscreen.

#4 broman400

broman400
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:16 AM

The closest thing I found related to my laptops problem is this: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/touch-screen-on-stream-11-x360-not-working-after-windows-10/td-p/5188892

The problem is, the driver listed in that forum topic is not compatible with my computer.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

It's most likely the touchscreen driver for Windows 10 is not compatible with your hardware, especially from the fact you lost the touchscreen after updating to Windows 10. If this was an upgrade you could try a clean install using the Media Creation Tool. You would need to back up your personal data and all programs would need to be reinstalled. There is no guarantee this will work so you have to take into consideration if a touch screen is worth the attempt at a reinstall.

I would recommend you first create a complete disk image to an external USB drive using software like Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper.

#6 broman400

broman400
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

I really wouldn't want to reset my PC back to Windows 8. You don't think I can use any driver update to detect my PC to install the Windows 8 touch screen driver? It's unfortunately not listed on the HP drivers page

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

The upgrade to Creators may solve the problem if you do not have it already. That is basically a new install. It would show up as version 1703. Touchscreen drivers are native to the Windows 10 OS so there are no standalone touchscreen drivers available. When I looked at your support page the last OS shown is Windows 8.1. That would raise a red flag as far as I am concerned even though Windows 10 provides a pretty good selection of drivers. 

Are there any Yellow Exclamation marks in Device Manager? Click View > Show Hidden Devices.

HP Support Assistant may be able to help find additional drivers. But, if the touchscreen is not detected in Device Manger then I doubt it will find any drivers.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

#8 broman400

broman400
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

I installed HP Support Assistant and it didn't find anything. Also in the Device Manager there are no yellow exclamation marks

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

You may have better luck asking the question on the HP specific forums. The only suggestion I can give is to do a clean install and hope the touchpad is found. Not the most optimal solution and there is no guarantee the touchpad would be enabled after the clean install.

#10 broman400

broman400
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

😔😔😔
I did that, but no reply yet to my topic. Guess I'll try waiting a bit.

Edited by broman400, 15 May 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

In Device Manager did you enable View Hidden Devices. There was no was no yellow exclamation under Non-Plug and Play drivers, correct.

#12 broman400

broman400
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:20 AM

I don't see a category named Non-Plug and Play

I have uploaded a screenshot of my Device Manager to http://imgur.com/a/cpxWM

For some reason I have two Generic Monitors listed, one being hidden

Edited by broman400, 29 May 2017 - 03:31 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

I'm not sure why you show two Generic Monitors. If you right click and select update driver does Windows find anything. Are there any yellow exclamation marks under Other Devices?

It seems other people are also having touchscreen issues with this computer and windows 10. I have a feeling Windows 10 does not have a driver for this particular hardware.

Right click each Generic Monitor. Select Properties.Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line from each monitor.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 May 2017 - 08:18 AM.

#14 broman400

broman400
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:59 PM

It says the hidden monitor is not connected to the PC, but the hardware id is: MONITOR\LGD039A

The visible monitor id is the same: MONITOR\LGD039A

There's also no yellow exclamation marks under any devices.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

I am out of ideas on this one, sorry. The only thing I could recommend is create a complete disk image of your Windows 10 install to an external drive then reinstall 8.1 to verify if the touchscreen is bad. Because the computer came pre-installed with 8.1 the key is embedded in firmware and would auto-activate once online. 

You could always revert to Windows 10 using your disk image. The latest Creators update is available online. Perhaps a clean install using it would bring back the touchscreen. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users