Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Voicemail embedded in Email

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

Hey, I want to create a personal e-mail. I don't know which host to chose as I want the option of leaving voicemails. I want to receive regular mail, but I don't like typing as much as I do talking, so I want to be able to answer via voicemail and then embed it in my e-mail, so that when the other person receives it, they can hear it.
Is there such a thing available? If yes, which is the best/most popular?
Thank you!:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 10 May 2017 - 06:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:34 AM

Does Gmail support that? I know Facebook has this feature, but I want it in an e-mail client.:)

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,079 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

Not to diminish your idea. But I would delete an email that had an embedded file. Just too much nefarious stuff out there. If I wasn't expecting it, I'd delete it. So something to consider is some of your 'voicemails' may end up trashed before being listened to.

As for a service for this? I have no idea. But you can attach/embed a voice file in almost any email.

Similar to your thoughts: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/IfnfjzWM428

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

I see. Well, I guess, I'll just have to wait until speech recognition software is perfected, so that I can speak what I want to say and the e-mail client would translate it into text precisely as I said it.

I suppose, until then I will go with making an e-mail with Google. Is Gmail the most popular one worldwide? Or is it something else, such as Yahoo! ? For the past decade or so I've been using abv.bg which is pretty popupar in Southeastern Europe.

Thank you.:)

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

As for a service for this? I have no idea. But you can attach/embed a voice file in almost any email.

What he said...

Basically, you can record an audio file and attach it to any email from just about any email provider. About the only potential limitation might be a limit on the size of attachments that the email provider has, but then attachment size limits these days should not be an issue for an audio file (larger video files on the OTOH, might still be a problem).

But, then Animal raises good point. Anyone who practices "safe interneting" will immediately nuke an email message with an attachment that they are not expecting. If it is from someone they might know, maybe they will call that person to see if they actually sent the email, which then kind of defeating the purpose of original audio file you just send as you can say what you sent during the phone call. Of course, there are a lot of people who DO NOT practice "safe interneting".

I would go even further as many spam filters or antivirus/malware email filters might "catch" an email with not much text but contains an attachment (presumably if you are using the attachment to save typing, then you will not have included much test in the email).

It makes more sense in something like Facebook because it is more of a messanger/text type system than email. These are more "closed" or proprietary systems than general email. As a result, they kind of build an audio channel into the system that does not require the audio to be an attachment or separate file that can then potentially actually be malicious.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

I see. Well, I guess, I'll just have to wait until speech recognition software is perfected, so that I can speak what I want to say and the e-mail client would translate it into text precisely as I said it.

Speech recognition software is pretty good these days, especially on computer versions where you can "train it" some (i.e. something like Dragon Natural Speaking). It might take a while to train it, but once you do, it will work pretty well. You will still have to fix things, but then I have to fix things that I type all the time as well.

The biggest thing you have to learn with speech recognition is that you have to think ahead what you want to say. When you type, it is much slower than just speaking. So, it is generally much easier for you mind to outpace your fingers. With speech recognition, however, it is much easier for you mouth to run faster than your brain. So, when I have tried it, I have found myself struggling. It is a learning curve.

I have a friend who is paralyzed who is using Dragon as he cannot type with his hands. It works well for him. Of course, he have overcome the learn curve about thinking what he wants to say. I did not use it enough to get past that.

I suppose, until then I will go with making an e-mail with Google. Is Gmail the most popular one worldwide? Or is it something else, such as Yahoo! ? For the past decade or so I've been using abv.bg which is pretty popupar in Southeastern Europe.

Thank you. :)

GMail is definitely a good choice in my opinion (unless you are paranoid about "big brother" Google spying on your emails :grinner:).

Edited by smax013, 18 May 2017 - 04:04 PM.

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Well, you left no holes for to me ask questions on in your reply, smax013. Thank you! You're awesome.:)

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

Well, you left no holes for to me ask questions on in your reply, smax013. Thank you! You're awesome. :)

I should note that Dragon is typically more "trainable" than options built into an computer OS. In other words, I think it is better at "learning" how YOU speak the more you use it than say dictation functions built into say the macOS (although for time at least, the macOS' dictation function was effectively powered by Dragon's/Nuance's engine, but had way less features).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users