Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My emails are going to spam...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

I just sent an email to my own girlfriend's hotmail account and it for some reason went to her spam folder, and now that I think about it I've had several emails disappear over the last year which I assume is for the same reason. So I am wondering why??

My signature had a clickable image, 2 links, and my email address written in it. Could this be the reason? The email is with the URL of my own website (which was one of the links and the clickable image) but that site has only 2 active email accounts that I use for personal mail so are very low volume. So I don't think I could have been flagged or black listed for any spammy behavior... But then why would simply having links in an email get it sent to the spam folder...

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,064 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

Is there an option for a "trusted email address?" If so, add your email address as a trusted one.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:42 AM

It only depends on two things.
Your e-mail should be sent from a reliable mail service address (if you are using untrusted e-mail sender, then it's your choice)
in her email settings must be enabled to get emails from this email service provider, she must mark this post as trusted post. (If she decides to send your e-mails to spam, then it is her decision).

Therefore, she should change her email settings so, that your emails are not junk, not spam, etc, where and how, it depends which email provider she uses..
If it is hotmail.com/outlook.com/live.com etc, settings are visible on menu bar.

#4 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:48 AM

Is there an option for a "trusted email address?" If so, add your email address as a trusted one.

It only depends on two things.
Your e-mail should be sent from a reliable mail service address (if you are using untrusted e-mail sender, then it's your choice)
in her email settings must be enabled to get emails from this email service provider, she must mark this post as trusted post. (If she decides to send your e-mails to spam, then it is her decision).

Therefore, she should change her email settings so, that your emails are not junk, not spam, etc, where and how, it depends which email provider she uses..
If it is hotmail.com/outlook.com/live.com etc, settings are visible on menu bar.

The problem is not my girlfriend receiving my messages, of course she has now white listed me, but the fact that I was ever sent to spam shocked me and I believe is the reason some of my mails have gone unreplied to as I've been having a lot of problems with this email address. I use the address for business so I can't afford that possibility.

As for being trusted, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be. The address is registered to my own domain name (a .net supplied by namecheap and hosted by hostgator), I only send around 1 or 2 mails a day and never sent any mails that could have ever been considered spam.

I thought it might be because of the signature, but if not I have no idea. Or possibly because I am using a pretty crappy mail client (dreammail) although I don't see how that would effect it.

Edited by noz03, 11 May 2017 - 04:48 AM.

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:50 AM

1. The address is registered to my own domain name (a .net supplied by namecheap and hosted by hostgator),...
  2. I thought it might be because of the signature, but if not I have no idea. Or possibly because I am using a pretty crappy mail client (dreammail) although I don't see how that would effect it.
1. yes, this is the reason, always the first email goes into junk folder, because this email-service is unknown, 
2. no, it isn't the reason, the reason is above named (1)

#6 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

1. The address is registered to my own domain name (a .net supplied by namecheap and hosted by hostgator),...
  2. I thought it might be because of the signature, but if not I have no idea. Or possibly because I am using a pretty crappy mail client (dreammail) although I don't see how that would effect it.
1. yes, this is the reason, always the first email goes into junk folder, because this email-service is unknown, 

Wow, that is quite shocking... just because it is unknown it is considered junk? So what can I do about this to make sure that my emails are received correctly and on time?

#7 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

Inform all recipients using some other (trusted) email service or sms or phone or skype or what ever.
One simplest way is to ask to reply for example during 3 days. If not replied, You already know, that something is wrong. Ie haven't got email or friend is simply lazy or perhaps is already dead.

#8 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,064 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

If it's the first email, it shouldn't go to junk mail. For example, password reset or verification emails from an online service don't go to spam.

Make sure that the Spam Filter is turned off, as it may be blocking emails from reaching the Inbox.

I hope smax013 replies to this forum, as he has more knowledge than I do on the topic of email.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

My signature had a clickable image, 2 links, and my email address written in it. Could this be the reason?

There is a pretty easy way to check this...try sending messages without the image or links and see if your messages get caught by spam filters. :grinner:

I realize that this might not be desirable long term, but you should at least be able to do some tests.

For example, since your girlfriend uses Hotmail (which is now effectively Outlook.com to my knowledge), you could create a free Outlook.com email account and then send a test message to it with the default spam filters settings. See if the spam filter catches your message without the links or image. You can then run the test with the links and/or image (depending on the spam filter functionality, that might mean additional free email accounts setup). This is all assuming you don't have people who are willing to be your "test dummies"...if so, then no need to setup any other email accounts.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

• The address is registered to my own domain name (a .net supplied by namecheap and hosted by hostgator),...
  • I thought it might be because of the signature, but if not I have no idea. Or possibly because I am using a pretty crappy mail client (dreammail) although I don't see how that would effect it.

Wow, that is quite shocking... just because it is unknown it is considered junk? So what can I do about this to make sure that my emails are received correctly and on time?

If it's the first email, it shouldn't go to junk mail. For example, password reset or verification emails from an online service don't go to spam.

All depends on the type of spam filter and how it is setup. For example, is it server side (i.e. done on the ISP servers) or client side (either built into the email client or a separate pure spam filter program). From there, it can also depend on the spam filter settings.

Many spam filter systems have "learning modes" or allow you to choose what you want to have happen to messages the filter deems to be spam. A good example of this is the spam filter in Apple Mail. For Apple Mail, you can either leave it in the Inbox, move it to the Junk folder (what Apple calls their spam folder), or do a custom action (such as delete it automatically). I have mine set to leave it in the Inbox as I don't mind doing spam filtering the old fashioned way...manually deleting them (but then I have a number of email accounts with at least several that I use for differing levels of junk type stuff...and my true worst junk/spam account is a GMail account that I leave the server side filter running). Other systems have the potential for similar type settings, including server side spam filters.

Others don't give you much in the way of options. For example, I have Comcast for my Internet connection and their server side spam filter has two options...on or off (you can white list email addresses as well). So, anything it deems as spam goes to the spam folder. And it will stay there for some period of time (30 days I believe) until it is deleted. This is to allow for the possibility of false positives. When I actively used my Comcast email account, I always turned off the spam filters as the spam folder DID NOT show up in local email clients because Comcast's system was POP only. You could only see the Comcast spam folder when using the webmail interface...and I hate using a webmail interface and use local email clients. Thus, I would turn off the spam filter. Since I don't use my Comcast accounts for anything serious anymore, I don't care as much. And now that Comcast has IMAP, the spam folder will show up in an email client.

Some server side spam filters are even less configurable. For example, iCloud does not allow you to turn off the spam filter at all. I don't believe you can with GMail either, but I could be wrong.

In my experience, server side spam filters will generally by default toss things in the spam folder if they consider spam unless the address is whitelisted or the spam filter has been "taught" that such things are not spam (i.e. selecting the message in the spam folder and using the "not spam/junk" button in the email system interface...and even then for somethings you might have to do this several times until the system learns properly whether a type of message is spam or not...i.e. typically newsletter type things). It is typically the local side spam filters that have options to leave identified spam messages in the Inbox (and the only one that I know of for sure is Apple Mail).

And different spam filters will use different criteria as to what they consider spam. They can use email header information...various servers along the path of the email might do spam checks and add an item to the email header regarding whether or not they consider them spam (just view the headers of an email message and you will likely see at least one spam related header item if not more). They can use email address "blacklists" where "known" spamming email address are kept on a list...and there are various sources for such lists. They can also use domain blacklists (i.e. lists of domains that are considered hosts of spammers). And so on.

And then there are things that will block emails even before they reach the spam filters. In the fairly recent past, many email systems would have misconfigured email servers. This resulted in aspects of the email header not "matching" up. Some email providers started blocking such emails outside of a spam filter (i.e. the messages did not even show up in the spam folder) as typically the misconfigured servers where spam servers. Comcast did this. I don't know if this is an issue anymore or not. It was all part of improvements made to email protocols in the not to distant past. As most legitimate email systems adopted the newer protocols and thus were properly configured, that was when email providers started blocking such stuff. When it started, it did catch some legitimate stuff but those who were legitimate had good reasons to fix the issues.

Make sure that the Spam Filter is turned off, as it may be blocking emails from reaching the Inbox.

As I noted above, this is not always possible with server side spam filters.

I hope smax013 replies to this forum, as he has more knowledge than I do on the topic of email.

Your wish is my command...once I got caught up on things. :grinner: I have only been able to spend more time on the forums recently, so in the recent past I was mainly focusing on limited sections (mainly the macOS, iOS, networking, and imaging/backup sections). So, I might not have see this too quickly, if at all, a couple of months ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users