Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Power Management Hardware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 voltayer

voltayer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

Hello,

Anyone suggest any good remote power management tools? I have a "smart socket" from amazon that I can turn my PC on and off via wifi/iphone app, however I'm looking for something more advanced, something with a nice GUI and I can access TCP/IP and affordable (under or around $100.00)

I know about the 3GS remote power switch but that would be my last resort.

PS: This is for my personal network, I don't need any enterprise level PDUs (unless they are super cheap)

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

GE used to make some PLC units that were pretty cheap and could handle devices from refrigerators and large fans to individual outlets.  Not sure what you're looking for.   I use an old IBM AT unit to monitor and control all outlets and some small motors for drapes and ducting control.  It monitors the current usage on the controlled outlets and allows me to set limits, it can sense and display variations as small  100 milliamps.  It also has inputs from infra-red and ultrasonic besides having locking controls for all windows and doors.  It was installed in the reconstructed home in 1989, wiring was pulled to all outlets along with CAT6 cable, TV (VHF/UHF) and phone(landline).  You have to decide if you really need that kind of control.  And one big clue, don't make it the only method of control, bugs do happen.

#3 voltayer

voltayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

Wow that sounds like one hell of a set up. Never had any experience with PLCs but I am familiar with how they work. I wonder how automated they are these days especially if they are firmware / TCP/IP controlled. I know they use these kinds for high speed rail tracks and factory robots. Wish I had that budget! Sounds like you spent quite a lot of time on your setup; would be awesome to have a house already wired.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

A better idea of what you're looking to accomplish with this would be very helpful.  What problem are you looking to solve?

#5 voltayer

voltayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

I don't really have a problem, but my issue is I would like to remotely manage (power) my network / PC. So let's say my router needs to be restarted or MY PC crashed I can restart it anywhere via the internet. Like I said I'm just looking for alternatives to the 3GS remote power switch I mentioned previously.

Looking for a remote management system with a web interface

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users