Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Application hangs brutally - but only on ONE machine. Read on!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CDMontague

CDMontague

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

Okay - 

I'll try and make this as concise as possible, understanding that more will be required as we get into the troubleshooting. 

Here are the basics: 

Machine is a Lenovo Y50-70 Touch. Core i7 @2.6 GHZ with Nvidia GEForce GTX graphics card. 64 bit, Win10 Home edition (fresh load). 

Application in question is MultiPub client (tiny application). Who cares one way or the other, except that it works completely 100% fine on multiple other machines in the office, including all of my virtual machines. So, hard to point a finger at the installation itself. 

Here's the order of effects:

1. Double click the application, login screen pops up. So far, so good.

2. Enter username - as per normal in any other app. Still good. 

3. Tab / Click down to password text box right below - application hangs right here, and I only know it doesn't freeze because I've waited the damn thing out and eventually it will give you a cursor in the password box. But, for all intents and purposes, once you hit password box, the app is toast. 

4. If you wait it out, and enter your password and click Submit, the application will load as it should, although it seems to work at about 25% speed - extremely slowly, so as to be unusable. 

I have thrown the book at this thing - ever troubleshooting item I could think of with the help of Google, I've thrown. The BIOS is updated. I've checked every Win10 setting I can think of. I've turned off the graphics card, booted in safe mode, etc, etc, etc, etc. I need someone to help me take a fresh look at this thing. The computer seems completely functional and normal outside of this oddity, which makes it effectively useless for my office. 

Throw me a bone, folks, and lend me your brain for a moment. 

Cheers and Thanks,

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

Okay - 

I'll try and make this as concise as possible, understanding that more will be required as we get into the troubleshooting. 

Here are the basics: 

Machine is a Lenovo Y50-70 Touch. Core i7 @2.6 GHZ with Nvidia GEForce GTX graphics card. 64 bit, Win10 Home edition (fresh load). 

Application in question is MultiPub client (tiny application). Who cares one way or the other, except that it works completely 100% fine on multiple other machines in the office, including all of my virtual machines. So, hard to point a finger at the installation itself.

Are all these other computers and virtual machines also running Windows 10?

Here's the order of effects:

1. Double click the application, login screen pops up. So far, so good.
2. Enter username - as per normal in any other app. Still good. 
3. Tab / Click down to password text box right below - application hangs right here, and I only know it doesn't freeze because I've waited the damn thing out and eventually it will give you a cursor in the password box. But, for all intents and purposes, once you hit password box, the app is toast. 
4. If you wait it out, and enter your password and click Submit, the application will load as it should, although it seems to work at about 25% speed - extremely slowly, so as to be unusable. 

I have thrown the book at this thing - ever troubleshooting item I could think of with the help of Google, I've thrown. The BIOS is updated. I've checked every Win10 setting I can think of. I've turned off the graphics card, booted in safe mode, etc, etc, etc, etc. I need someone to help me take a fresh look at this thing. The computer seems completely functional and normal outside of this oddity, which makes it effectively useless for my office. 

Throw me a bone, folks, and lend me your brain for a moment. 

Cheers and Thanks,

Chris

It would help a lot and save a lot of time if you fully listed all of the things you have tried rather than just "etc, etc, etc, etc, etc." Otherwise, you are bound to get a lot of suggestions for things you likely already tried.

As to the issue itself, I assume this is a network based application since you mentioned it was a "client" program. To that effect, are there any indications of any network related issues with this computer?

#3 CDMontague

CDMontague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

Yes, these other machines and virtual machines are running Windows 10. 

I decided not to list all the things I've tried for a couple of reasons:

1. I've tried a lot of things, and I probably cannot remember them all

2. I'm not a power user of Windows 10, and so therefore would defer to the wisdom of the forum as to which things should be tried, and in which manner / order. 

As for the final question, this machine does connect to our 2.4 GHZ wireless network without issue. I cannot say that there is not the occasional hiccup (there is) but this hanging issue is present regardless of excellent / good / crappy / nonexistent internet connect. 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

Yes, these other machines and virtual machines are running Windows 10.

Any significant differences between this one computer and the computers/virtual machines in terms of other program installed or drivers or setup. Looking to see if there might be some other piece of software that might be causing a conflict.

Along that lines, have you tried creating a new user account on the computer and then seeing if the same issue happens in that new user account. I suspect that will not change anything if you have tried using the program in Safe Mode.

I decided not to list all the things I've tried for a couple of reasons:

1. I've tried a lot of things, and I probably cannot remember them all

It would be best if you could still list the things that you have tried and remember. If you don't, then prepared to be patient. As I said, you likely will get suggestions to try a lot of the things you potentially tried as we cannot read your mind as to what did and did not try.

2. I'm not a power user of Windows 10, and so therefore would defer to the wisdom of the forum as to which things should be tried, and in which manner / order.

Understood...neither am I. I actually don't have Windows 10 currently installed on a computer of my own. But, there is still a lot of basic troubleshooting things that can be tried that will apply just about any Windows version (and even non-Windows versions).

As for the final question, this machine does connect to our 2.4 GHZ wireless network without issue. I cannot say that there is not the occasional hiccup (there is) but this hanging issue is present regardless of excellent / good / crappy / nonexistent internet connect.

Are any of the other machines that work fine also connected by WiFi? Can you temporarily try connecting the computer by ethernet to see if it changes anything?

Some other things to try (that you may have already tried)...

1) Have you tried uninstalling the client program and reinstalling it?
2) Have you left the Task Manager open while trying to use the client program to see if there are CPU spikes under either Programs or Processes?
3) You said you tried it with Safe Mode. I assume it was Safe Mode with Networking. Is that a correct assumption? Did the same exact thing happen? Or was it different in any way?
4) This would be kind of a last resort type option, but have you considered trying to reinstall Windows? Was this one of the things you have tried?
5) Have you tried the client in a virtual machine on THIS computer? If so, same problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users