Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop Ups Spyware... Please Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 janbas

janbas

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:16 AM

Hi

I've just installed win 2000 on my computer and I started getting pop ups from "messenger services" alerting me on some kind of danger and asking to make a registry scan.
These pop ups are very annoying and even after I deleted the services.exe file, it constantly reappears and i don't know what to do...

Here is my hijackthis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:10:19 PM, on 9/7/2006
Platform: Windows 2000 SP3 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
D:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
D:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
D:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
D:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
D:\Program Files\012Net\012Net-Cable dialer\fts.exe
D:\Program Files\012Net\012Net-Cable dialer\FWPortal.exe
D:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
D:\WINNT\System32\internat.exe
D:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - D:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [%FP%012-L2TP fts.exe] "D:\Program Files\012Net\012Net-Cable dialer\fts.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [%FP%012-L2TP FWPortal.exe] "D:\Program Files\012Net\012Net-Cable dialer\FWPortal.exe" -no_dialog
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "D:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [internat.exe] internat.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "D:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YAHOOM~1.EXE" -quiet
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - D:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - D:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1157638106109
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{E7821A8B-7F11-4D52-9D35-E9F53BA03C28}: NameServer = 212.116.161.39 212.117.129.5
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - D:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: HP CI Service (En1207CI) - Unknown owner - D:\WINNT\System32\En1207d.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - D:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Please help

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:46 AM

Hello there and welcome to Bleeping Computer's security forum.
My name is David, I will be helping you with your log today.

It is a good idea to print off these instructions:
This will be useful as there is a possibility some of the instructions will need to be carried out where internet access is not available.
You may also like to save these instructions in word/notepad to the desktop where they can be easily found for the same reasons as above.
A print out of the instructions would be a good reference to make sure you don't yet lost.
Also, it is important that you complete the instructions in the right order, and also that you don't miss any steps out!
If you have any queries about the process or just general questions, just ask.

You are missing one important program on that computer - an antivirus!
This is somewhat suicidal in today's digital world.
You need to install an antivirus program as soon as you can and run a complete scan of the computer.
AVG and Avast are excellent, free antivirus programs..
Never install more than one antivirus on your system - several together can cause problems and decrease performance.

The Windows "Messenger Service" is being exploited to spray the Internet with unsolicited commercial eMail. The receipt of a single UDP packet can cause a "Messenger Service" dialog to pop-up on the user's screen. It is possible for the sender to "spoof" (falsify) the packet's "Source IP", making these packets impossible to trace back to their origin................
Windows Messenger Service

The first thing to understand is that the Windows Messenger Service is completely different from, and not in any way related to, "MSN Messenger", "Windows Messenger", or any other well-known instant messaging system. Therefore, disabling the Windows Messenger service will have no effect upon your use of any other instant messaging applications. They will continue to work without trouble.

To block the spam is to turn off Messenger Service.

Click Start>>Settings>>Control Panel

--Double click Administrative Tools
--Double click Services
--Double click Messenger
--Under Service Status, click Stop
--In the box next to Startup Type, select Disabled
--Click Apply>>OK

Alternatively, you can download a small program that will disable Messenger Service for you Called Shoot The Messenger. It's available at: http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

Let me know how it goes..
David

#3 janbas

janbas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:15 AM

Hi David

Thanks a lot!

I did what you said, and it worked, the pop ups stopped!

Thanks

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:38 PM

You're welcome janbas!

Since this issue appears resolved, this Topic is now closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending me
a PM with the address of the thread using the link here. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Edited by D-Trojanator, 08 September 2006 - 03:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users